Interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MissionGrammar

Interviews

Post by MissionGrammar »

Hi,

Just wondering, what do they check/ask in interview?

What do they ask with child
Do they interview parents too, what do they ask with parents
Do parents background/personality matters
Should we carry child past achievements/certificates
will it be 1 to 1 interview
what should we ask, should we try to convince for scholarship :)

more importantly
What are the negative points, which ground they may fail in interview

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Interviews

Post by hermanmunster »

which schools are you referring? May find people have specific experience of what it was like
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I imagine it will vary from school to school so probably best to say which one(s) your DC has interviews at.
Oops, sorry hermanmunster - please delete this reply if you want!
scary mum
MissionGrammar

Post by MissionGrammar »

I am referring to NLCS, HABS, St. Helen

Thanks
redlace

Post by redlace »

hi everyone, was anyone able to get some ideas of what kind of questions they asked at the interviews if kids make it through the entrance exam? thanks
maroussia

Post by maroussia »

Hello, i have the same question concerning Highgate and CLSG. Any suggestions / advice would be very helpful. Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My advice would be...try not to worry about the sort of questions they ask! My husband works in a very, very respected private school and staff there who are involved with admissions admit that they prefer speaking to children who have not been coached for the interivew. They are interested in your child's opinions, not yours. Don't try and second guess what they are looking for - generally they are checking that they can offer your child something and that your child will benefit from being with them. Scholarships tend to be offered on academic/sport/music or drama strength so trying to persudae them to give your child a scholarship at the interview is not really appropriate. They are not trying to catch your child out - common sense applies - eye contact, smiles, be polite etc. Obviously if it is a scholarship interview there may be some academic questions (such as maths problems or poetry).
redlace

Post by redlace »

thanks Kenyancowgirl. It can all be so daunting (albeit for me! my DD seems to be taking it all in her stride).
Shwetakd

Post by Shwetakd »

Does anyone know whether all candidates start off on a clean slate at the interview round or do schools cumulate the marks from the test and interview before making an offer.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students only get offered an interview if their academic marks are strong.

The academic result and the performance at interview will be considered together when deciding who to make offers to. DG