Independent or Grammar Poll

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Edgbaston Dad

Independent or Grammar Poll

Post by Edgbaston Dad »

Hardworking parents, but after having paid independent fees for the last 6 years, are in a bit of a predicament.

Should we send our daughter to KE Handsworth, save the money for Uni and have nice holidays or send daughter to KEHS and sacrifrice holidays and uni pot.

Unsure of what to do for the best.

Also have a second child to sit exams in a couple of years
KenR

Post by KenR »

Both excellent schools, one might argue that KEHS provides a bit more in terms of extra curriculum activities, particularly if they are in any way musically inclined.

Don't think there is a huge difference academically, although KEHS is allowed to stretch them a little more by offering IGCSEs and IB options because it's an independent school.

If you do live in Edgbaston then you presumably won't have any travel costs for KEHS - the green bus for KE Handsworth will cost you £420/year.

But is KEHS worth £50K over 5 years for the extra - well that's subjective but most people would probably say no.

Utimately you are probably better letting you daughter decide, but worthwhile visting both schools again to help you both reach a decision.

Regards
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

Hi

I have to agree with KenR here. I think you have posted this on another thread, but I will reply again!

My daughters don't go to KE Handsworth, although I can't imagine it is an awful lot different to Camp Hill. Certainly at Camp Hill the music is pretty fabulous - loads of different orchestras, windbands and ensembles. Sport is pretty good too - nice big sports hall - do they have a nice new one at Handsworth? Lots of extra curricular activities.

I am glad that we are saving our money to help the children when (if) they go to university. Both doing well, my eldest has already got 2 A*s and is predicted another 10, so why would we have wanted to pay?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now