Appeal (Kent)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Crackerjax

Appeal (Kent)

Post by Crackerjax »

It's been heartbreaking the last few days seeing dd2 so upset. She's the one that everyone assumed would be ok and are quite shocked that she wasn't.

Our head teacher and class teacher are both away for the next few days so I have no idea yet if they will support an appeal, but I think we will have to carry on regardless with or without their support but hopefully with. I have to admit the whole process scares me lol.

I have one quick question with regards to CAF .. Do I put GS first or 2nd? I have always thought for non qualification I was to put it 2nd to make sure we get our 2nd choice as first.

Thanks,
Crackerjax :)
Last edited by Crackerjax on Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BucksBornNBred

Re: Appeal Journey .. just wanted to say hello

Post by BucksBornNBred »

This is the link to the advice on completing CAFs http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-form-caf but "The golden rule for completing the CAF is that you should always put the schools in your real order of preference."

Hope you find all the advice you need on this forum :-)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
"The golden rule for completing the CAF is that you should always put the schools in your real order of preference."
We cannot stress this too strongly.
Etienne
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

thank you :)

I have been reading and reading and a mum of one of dd1's friends has offered to help as she has been through the process 3 years ago.

DD has a trip with school this week so I'm hoping that will take her mind off everything
Crackerjax

Re: Appeal (Kent)

Post by Crackerjax »

Hi,
Had a meeting today with ht and dd's class teacher who both admitted they were shocked by her results and will both fully support our appeal .. phew
dd recently had tests and while her teacher wouldn't reveal results, she said dd was where she expected her to be by the end of the year. for now, she just needs to continue to show progress.
I asked if there was feedback from ht appeal, was told they just see who was assessed suitable gs or hs. But ht did say that they review so much evidence and have very little time to do so etc.
I did ask what evidence I would need to produce .. as far as they are concerned the panel are just interested in academic ability so no need for school reports going back to year dot.
So I have come away feeling somewhat relieved that I will at least have their support :)
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

Hi,

As the dreaded offer day draws nearer, I have started to prepare my appeal letter - but would just like to ask a quick question if I may?
From previous years I can see that peeps mentioned their level's at the start of y6, current levels at time of appeal letter and predicted levels for SATs. Under the new system - working towards, expected, exceeding .. will the panel understand this .. or should I have her scaled scores?

We had her parents evening last night and dd's teacher told us her current scaled score, which I noticed was the same as her scaled score at our October meeting. So I asked had she not made any progress to which she replied she has made huge progress. The scaled score in October was based on some curriculum, while the latest scaled score was based on 90% of the curriculum. Between now and SATs she has to continue what she is doing and in her her teacher's mind will reach the expected scaled score of 110 to be considered 'exceeding'.

While last night was to discuss her work in class, her teacher will meet with me again to discuss more about our appeal .. as I was concerned about 'evidence'. We had a chance to look at her books and to me there was nothing that stood out that could be used, while there was plenty of 'excellent work' they were quickly followed by 'but if you did this or included that'.

Also, while I have read everything on this forum (inside out, upside down - 5 times over lol) .. there seems to be some conflicting advise on preparing the letter. Keep it short and to the point (A4) and expand on the day or say everything now as you only have one shot at this ?

Many thanks
mpquikster

Post by mpquikster »

You need to be aware that the panel will have read your paperwork before the appeal, so will not expect you to come to the appeal and simply read it all to them again. Maybe summarise your main points on the appeal form and elaborate in the appeal?

In terms of evidence, you need to provide everything that you think will convince the panel that your child is of grammar school standard, will not struggle at the school, and why you think they underperformed on the day of the test. You also need to try and convince them that admitting one more child would not be detrimental to the other children who will be going there, and it will in fact be your child that is prejudiced by not going to that particular school. You may be best explaining to them the SATs levels if they have recently changed.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

Whilst not in Kent and not knowing your procedure, I had the following procedure to follow - a form to give notice of appeal, which contained brief information as to why I was appealing - this was very brief, not much more than a paragraph.

I then had to submit my detailed appeal letter and evidence. I made sure that this included all the salient information in a concise manner and referred to appendices for the evidence for each point where relevant ( I had 9 appendices!). I felt it important to get everything down in writing as I was not confident that nerves would not get the better of me and that I would not miss anything out at the hearing. It helped me to know that the appeal panel had ALL of the information in writing and that nothing was left out. The actual letter itself was not much longer than 1 side of A4 broken into clear paragraphs for each point with bullet points and references.

For the panel meeting itself I prepared prompt cards for each point with the key points I wanted to put across - these mirrored the order of my appeal letter.
I knew my letter and the evidence inside out and was prepared to expand upon any points where necessary.

Everybody will have a different approach but this worked for me.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Some good points above.
Crackerjax wrote:Under the new system - working towards, expected, exceeding .. will the panel understand this .. or should I have her scaled scores?
Panel members ought to have some understanding of the new system, although the finer points might need explaining (preferably in any letter of support from the school).

The latest scaled scores could be useful if they show daughter working significantly above expectations.

Ideally you want her case to stand out.
After all, under the old system a 4a prediction was 'above average', but I suspect most panel members would have been happier with a level 5 (and perhaps a 5b or higher).
..... she replied she has made huge progress .....
I hope the words "huge progress since the 11+" will appear in any letter of support from the school. :)
We had a chance to look at her books and to me there was nothing that stood out that could be used, while there was plenty of 'excellent work' they were quickly followed by 'but if you did this or included that'.
If you did use the exercise books, it might be an idea for you (or preferably the school) to tell the panel that teachers feel under a duty to offer constructive advice.
In relation to reports I'm aware that Ofsted states: “Inspectors will consider whether reports help parents to understand how well their children are doing in relation to any standards expected and how they can improve".
Also, while I have read everything on this forum (inside out, upside down - 5 times over lol) .. there seems to be some conflicting advise on preparing the letter. Keep it short and to the point (A4) and expand on the day or say everything now as you only have one shot at this ?
I think you've misunderstood.
The A4 length refers to "Say everything now" (while still being concise!).
"Keep it short" would still include the key points, but be less than A4.
Two slightly different approaches, rather than conflicting advice.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... school#c18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The important thing is not to fall into the trap of thinking that you have to write reams and reams.
I've repeatedly pointed out that it's the evidence that matters, not the letter of appeal.
All the evidence should be submitted before the hearing.

Hope this helps. :)
Etienne
Crackerjax

Post by Crackerjax »

Thank you so much mpquikster, bigbirdcw and Etienne, I appreciate the advise and will take everything on board.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now