Parkstone/Poole Grammar catchments

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wimborne Mum

Parkstone/Poole Grammar catchments

Post by Wimborne Mum »

I live within the Borough of Poole but my children attend a Dorset Middle school. Will this disadvantage them if they were to take the Parkstone/Poole entrance exam?

I have heard that say my next door neighbour had a child that went to a Poole Middle school they would need a lower exam score than my children in order to get a place, can this be trye???

WM
scarymary

Post by scarymary »

Hi Wimborne Mum
From what I can gather, for Parkstone anyway, it seems where you live is not as important as which middle school your child attends. Those children who attend a catchment area school will be considered before non-catchment area schoolchildren. I think this is to stop people moving into the catchment area (and still have children attend a non-catchment area school) to get their child into a grammar school.
After catchment area children are considered, then highest scores of out-of-catchment area children come into play, and in the event of a 'tie', then shortest walking distance to school is the criteria. (I'm sure some kind soul will correct me if I 'm wrong on any point here?)
My children both attend out-of-catchment area schools in Dorset and I know one of them is likely grammar school material. But thinking of her chances is making me very glum indeed, and our local secondary/upper school hasn't got the best reputation!
Wimborne Mum

Post by Wimborne Mum »

Thanks scarymary, I really wish I had looked into this before I chose my kids middle school! Upper school we are in catchment for is good as far as I know (Corfe Hills) but I prefer the idea of a grammar school if the kids are able enough but looks like my chances may be more slim than I had realised. I had assumed it was all on test scores alone, makes me more mad with myself because we are in catchment for Broadstone Middle and Allenbourn Middle and both are good but seems I may have made the wrong choice for later life.............?

Thanks

WM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now