fingers crossed for my son

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clairewp

fingers crossed for my son

Post by clairewp »

hi all only second post so be gentle, i live in sittingbourne and son passed 11+ with results of VR135.NVR135 and maths 119, now my problem is didn't put Borden Grammer down as my first choice,but second and i had to tell his first choice heavily oversubscribed school that he didn't want or need place.I now have put in an application to the grammer school and although they say there is plenty of room i am still worried that he will miss out. My question is does anyone know about Borden and their procedures.
thanks claire
Mercy

Post by Mercy »

If I may ask, which school did you put down as first choice ?

Also in recent years, I have been told that Borden is never full and as you live in sittingbourne and your child has passed his 11plus, you should be able to appeal for a space in Borden .
clairewp

Post by clairewp »

Hi thanks for reply i put down Fulston Manner as my first choice as this school is heavily oversubscribed and was worried son would not get place( should of had more confidence in son), i also have heard that Borden has spaces but am just worried that son is going to be left with no place at all. Also didn't appeal just put in application form as this is what Borden told me to do.
claire
Mercy

Post by Mercy »

I also think that your son's headteacher should be able to appeal on your behalf , pls fill in the green form that was sent with your offer letter asap and send this to borden school so that your son's name can be put on the school's waiting list. You can also fill in the pink form to appeal for a space at borden.

As a back-up, make another copy of the green form and fill this in for a space at Queen elizabeth's grammar at faversham, this is a very good grammar that people overlook.

all the best,
clairewp

Post by clairewp »

Thanks for your reply have already filled in green form, and given to Borden, unfortunately QE is not an option as i have a 7 year old daughter as well but do agree about QE,i am org from Faversham and my brother went to the QE
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Should you not accept your first choice school which was offered and also appealfor your second choice grammar? Just in case?
katel

Post by katel »

I'm a bit puzzled by your question - probably because I'm thick! What school do you want for youtr son?ulston Manor isn't a grammar school - it is a vey oversubscribed high school with 20% of places for music and sports stars. If you live in the catchment you'll get a place - if you don't you won't, regardless of the 11+ - it has no relevance to Fulston Manor. But if you've passed the test you'll get a place at Borden or QE automatically.
clairewp

Post by clairewp »

Hi thanks as i said before because Fulston is so oversubscribed i put this first with Borden Grammer second place, son passed his 11+ but because i put Fulston first that is the school my son has been allocated.I would like my son to go to Borden and have had to decline Fulstons place due to date issues, and have put in a form to Borden for place. My question was does anyone know how many places does Borden have left roughly after initial allocation.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I think the best thing is to hear this from the 'horses mouth' so to speak. I would ring Admissions and/or the school itself and ask them if they have filled their places and how many places are left.
Good luck. :) I think you are not the only ones caught out like this. The system is different now and you really must put your order of schools on the CAF form in your ACTUAL order, not tactically.