Son's results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ProudEFCdad

Son's results

Post by ProudEFCdad »

Hi all. great site and its been a useful resource over the last few months. So, big thanks!!

I have a couple of questions regarding my sons Kent 11+ tets. if anyone can help or advise, I'd be very grateful.

Can I obtain a copy of his tests from Kent CC? His primary school don't seem to have the results nevermind the actual test. Also, out of curiosity, I'd like to know whether his results would of got him a place at Judd. His overall result was 416 which broke down as (140 Maths) - (140 VR) - (136 NVR)
Whilst I realise he did pretty well, I have no clue what the 140 score means. He keeps asking me 'how well did I do' and I have no way of telling him. I understand the scores are age related. He was born in November.
Thanks again to anyone who can make this a little clearer for me.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Hello. Those are excellent scores - you should be really proud of him!

140 is the highest mark available so total top score available is 420.

Ring Judd to find out what their entrance mark was - two years ago was 412 and I think last year was around 414.

Contact the school to see if there are any places.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

They are excellent scores.

140 is the top standardised score,

100 is the "average" standardised score (85 - 115 within statistiscal error) so his core was well above the average for this cohort.

They are scores to be proud of!

:D
ProudEFCdad

Post by ProudEFCdad »

Hi Jacko. Thanks, we are very proud of him. From reading some of the threads on this site, I can see he's done really well. Is it far too simplistic to think if he only got 136 in VR, he must of got 4 questions wrong?
We didn't put Judd down because we live in East Sussex and we felt Skinners was the limit of his journey time. Which brings me onto another question. Would he of had to obtain higher scores than those pupils living in Kent itself to be offered a place at either Skinners or Judds?
ProudEFCdad

Post by ProudEFCdad »

Thanks Yo-Yo.
Whats quite confusing is that when we grilled him, oops I mean gently enquired, how he had done in his tests, he was quite downbeat about it and felt he hadn't done great. I realise there was probably a huge slice of 'expectation management' in his being downbeat, but I am really curious as to how he did in layman terms. I can't get my head round all this standardisation and cohorts business. thats why I felt if I can get hold of a copy of his tests, it would make things a lot clearer to us.
katel

Post by katel »

But why do you need to know? He did brilliantly - nearly full marks. How would knowing the actual scores help?

136 doesn't mean that he got 4 wrong - you can get 140 (full marks) while still getting some questions wrong. There is a complex statistical formula based on an "average" 11 year old getting a mark of 100 in the test. The scores for the entire cohort are age adjusted then plotted in relation to this mythical "average child, with some at either end . but most clustered near the middle. But I don't know exactly how the analysis is done.

Just be delighted and proud in your son's achievement and move on to the next stage!
ProudEFCdad

Post by ProudEFCdad »

Hi katel, you ask why we need to know.
As you pointed out the formula for scoring is very complex and far too much me or my son to understand. This is why we would like a more tangible score for his tests. X amount out of 120 for eg. or a percentage would be something we could understand. Thats why I thought a copy of the tests would satisfy our curiosity. Thanks.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If you google normal distribution, that will explain it..
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

I think that you are entitled to go and view your son's answer sheets, which are kept by KCC. I don't think, however, that they will send you a copy. You could ring them and ask. Your son's school will not have seen them.

On your other question, the entry marks for Judd and Skinners are the same wherever you live. They do not distinguish between in and out of county candidates.
ProudEFCdad

Post by ProudEFCdad »

Thanks Kent99.
I think I will give Kent CC a ring and ask. As i say, its for curiosity value only, we're not entering any appeals or anything. He got offered a place at Skinners and Christ's Hospital, we've chosen the latter.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now