West Kent - Appeal of over subscription Tonbridge Grammar S.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
piggymom

West Kent - Appeal of over subscription Tonbridge Grammar S.

Post by piggymom »

Dear Sally-Anne and Etienne,

Our DD scores 364 and cut off score for TGS is 372 this year! We decide to try on Appeal although we know being 8 points difference, it is hard.

My DD has done a CAT test back in May'16 and I have sent it to the Appeals in box for your reference. I wonder whether she will need to take another, more update one this month to support for the appeal.

Our situation is that due to family situation, we were temporary out of UK and my DD would not be able to get headteacher's support on her academic part, and we will need to find alternative source.

Your thoughts on whether she needs to do another updated CAT is highly appreciated.
Zed mac

Re: West Kent - Appeal of over subscription Tonbridge Gramma

Post by Zed mac »

Hi there
Did youtube TGS as your first choice ?
The year my daughter applied the cut off score was 365 I think . She later found out lots got in on second round offers with scores as low as 356 ... Go on waiting list and its worth appealing :D
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

Zed mac wrote:Hi there
Did youtube TGS as your first choice ?
The year my daughter applied the cut off score was 365 I think . She later found out lots got in on second round offers with scores as low as 356 ... Go on waiting list and its worth appealing :D

Hello Zed Mac,

Yes, we put Tonbridge as 1st choice, this year the ic cut off rate is very high i.e. 372! I only heard of the 363 as the lowest cut off score, may be this is due to official announcement, and reality is it could go as low as 356?

On appealing, have you ever heard any successful case? Bc I found it hard to justify a girl to be suitable for a super selective unless we could prove she is a gift child with extremely high IQ score? But ours is not the case.... any advice to me? Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Your thoughts on whether she needs to do another updated CAT is highly appreciated.
Any extra evidence could be useful, if it's favourable.

Not sure how lengthy your temporary stay abroad was.
Do you have any strong academic evidence from earlier on (level 3s at KS2, excellent school reports)?

I assume you've seen: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

Etienne wrote:
Any extra evidence could be useful, if it's favourable.

Not sure how lengthy your temporary stay abroad was.
Do you have any strong academic evidence from earlier on (level 3s at KS2, excellent school reports)?

I assume you've seen: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dear Etienne,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I read that a month ago, good to refresh my mind now when I really need to prepare the appeal. I will definitely collect more evidence and discuss at one go.

For now, a follow up question:
Only on this CAT (dated Jun 2016) alone (the one I sent to Appeal box), do you think the KS2 scores/prediction was good enough? Pls note that bc we were living aboard in the past few years, in Jun 2016 when my dd did the test, she had not been exposed to any 11+ prep before and she made all the effort during summer time last year to study herself, so I presume another CAT if we were to do now again, she would have gained higher marks and therefore show/implies higher academic ability.

But I don't want to stress my dd out to revise and do another one if the current, old CAT one already pretty good in an appeal situation (which I don't know and appreciate yr advice).

Many thanks
Zed mac

Post by Zed mac »

Hi there
Have you rung TGS ? I would ring and go on the wait list while also getting your appeal things ready. My daughter originally wanted Weald ( we live in T Wells ) we got TGS .. We went on the wait list and filled in appeal form and sent off a letter.. We were 29 on the wait list .. Second lot of offers 28 th April we got a letter offering a space ... In the mean time she had looked around TGS and decided to there !!! Exhuasting !! Ha ha
The admissions lady at weald said there is always so much movement , don't worry she said you'll get in !! I think you'll be lucky , most schools work the same way with a wait list .. 364 is a good score ! One of my daughters friend got into TGS in Aug !! She had TWGGS right up until then.
Hope that helps ?? ...
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear piggymom

Before I comment further, do you have the individual CAT scores your daughter achieved for VR, Quantitative Reasoning, and NVR in 2016 - and the mean score? (I didn't notice them when skimming through the document last night, but apologies if I missed them.)

And were you given the 'confidence intervals'?
Etienne
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

You asked if appeals are successful, there were 8 successful appeals last year.
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

hempsteadlad wrote:You asked if appeals are successful, there were 8 successful appeals last year.

Thank you, Hemsteadlad. wow, what an amazing number, 8!

Would greatly appreciate if any 8 of them could share their experience with us (could be pm). Thank you.
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

Etienne wrote:Dear piggymom

Before I comment further, do you have the individual CAT scores your daughter achieved for VR, Quantitative Reasoning, and NVR in 2016 - and the mean score? (I didn't notice them when skimming through the document last night, but apologies if I missed them.)

And were you given the 'confidence intervals'?

Dear Etienne, please check Appeals in box for confidential information about my DD. Many thanks for your time and advice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now