UNDECIDED ABOUT WHETHER TO APPEAL!!!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Headache

UNDECIDED ABOUT WHETHER TO APPEAL!!!

Post by Headache »

My daughter passed the kent 11+ test and has been offered out second choice grammar school which we are "over the moon" about. However, her first choice school was Rochester Grammar which is a medway grammar school. She failed the medway 11+ by 22 points. Our two reasons for possibly appealing for Rochester Grammar would be
1. Its closer.
2. Her close friends are going there.

Part of me feels like "whats meant to be is meant to be" and we should go with the kent school. Another part of me is thinking "Should I appeal?"
Any comments would be appreciated. :)
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

From a general point of view it doesn't sound like a really strong case at the moment.

For a discussion about friends, see this thread:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5888

Distance to the school, compared with the one allocated, might be a valid reason, but the distance and journey time to the allocated school would probably need to be unreasonable.

Did you get any answer from Medway about how they are interpreting the reference to reviews in the new Appeals Code?
Etienne
Headache

Post by Headache »

Hi Etienne, Thanks for the link that was very useful. I telephoned the Medway admissions department today, they told me to contact the school direct as its a foundation school and they deal with their own appeal. On speaking to the school they said it was oversubscribed (surprise! surprise!) and that they had lots of applications from girls who had actually passed the medway test.

In a way, it helped with the decision. We had already accepted the Kent Grammar School anyway - we were just curious as to whether an appeal was worthwhile.

It is going to be a little inconvenient with getting her to and from school - but at the end of the day, we are just SO PLEASED that she got a grammar place.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes to those appealing.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Headache wrote:Hi Etienne, Thanks for the link that was very useful. I telephoned the Medway admissions department today, they told me to contact the school direct as its a foundation school and they deal with their own appeal. On speaking to the school they said it was oversubscribed (surprise! surprise!) and that they had lots of applications from girls who had actually passed the medway test.

In a way, it helped with the decision. We had already accepted the Kent Grammar School anyway - we were just curious as to whether an appeal was worthwhile.

It is going to be a little inconvenient with getting her to and from school - but at the end of the day, we are just SO PLEASED that she got a grammar place.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes to those appealing.
You could always try an appeal If you've got some good reasons for not getting a higher score - don't tell your daughter - nothing to loose as long as you've accepted the place offered. Otherwise, she'll probably enjoy her offered school. Have fun.
Capers
Headache

Post by Headache »

Thanks Capers, you've got me thinking again now!!!! Will let you know what we decide. Thanks for comments. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now