over/under subscribed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sparklecat

over/under subscribed

Post by Sparklecat »

When do we found out how popular schools were for applications this year, so we can gauge likelihood of acceptance next year?
kingreader

Re: over/under subscribed

Post by kingreader »

It is usually included in the admission to secondary book that the LA publish. Think it comes out around september, before the deadline for applications in October
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

Last September I was expecting my Year 6 son to come home with the KCC secondary schools book that his sisters had brought home a few years before.

After a couple of weeks waiting, no book ever came home so I phoned his Junior school. A letter went out that night saying that due to costs KCC were longer producing the secondary school book for parents, there was only one for each Kent school.

All parents were to look online at all the individual schools websites to work out their open days and evenings, oversubscription details etc. For any parent that did not have access to the internet then the school office did have one copy that could be looked at but not taken home. All applications were to be done through the KCC website but the office did have a handful of paper forms.

Nowhere on any school or the KCC website did I see any numbers of applicants or anything like that. If you want that information then I think you will have to phone each school individually Sparklecat. I don't know when it would be best to do that though, maybe schools don't know that information yet themselves.

It was frustrating that local schools often had parents' evenings that clashed and some friends with boy/girl twins had to visit three schools in one evening!

Edited to add...... This information you want may be included in the elusive book, but you might have to ask your child's school to look at it and write the info down. If the school only has one book I doubt they'd allow a parent to take it home.
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

I had downloaded the whole list from the internet last year, but truly forgot where it was from. Here it goes, hope it helps.

Oops, just found there is no file attached button, where can I upload the file?
kingreader

Post by kingreader »

It's still online, here you go: http://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/pd ... -areas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the info you need, Sparklecat, is at the back - total apps and total offers. Assuming they publish the same information for 2018 you should be fine.
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

kingreader wrote:It's still online, here you go: http://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/pd ... -areas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the info you need, Sparklecat, is at the back - total apps and total offers. Assuming they publish the same information for 2018 you should be fine.

That's really helpful, kingreader, its a shame my son's school didn't tell us about this last year :roll: . I did try and google this sort of info on the KCC website but couldn't find anything...I am a bit of a computer numpty and didn't find it!
Peter

Post by Peter »

It will be there next week.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Thanks. Like this board, that site has helped demystify the whole excritiating process. We will likely have a choice of IGS, which seems in vogue right now and MGGS. Living further out, we are trying to work out whether to choose on the basis of what our child wants (open days to come), or go for the most likely to have places.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

:idea: p
kingreader wrote:It's still online, here you go: http://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/pd ... -areas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for that link. I wonder if total applications include second and third choices? Nearly every school has more applications than offers. Do people apply for schools they have no hope of being accepted for?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sparklecat wrote::idea: p

Thanks for that link. I wonder if total applications include second and third choices? Nearly every school has more applications than offers. Do people apply for schools they have no hope of being accepted for?
Total applications should mean just that, i.e. any ranking of a school on someone's CAF at whatever preference. So anywhere from top to bottom of someone's list.

As for your last question, you should hang out of this forum more (sadly) :roll: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now