Changing preference to go on waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ergo

Changing preference to go on waiting list

Post by ergo »

Just wondered if anyone knew how likely it would be to be able to alter your child's choice of school after allocation? Just theoretically, has anyone asked to be put on a waiting list for their second choice school after being given their first choice? Both would be grammars and marks would be high enough to be considered for both. The second choice ranks on high scores specifically.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you could try ringing KCC Education Dept they may be able to help
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

I was told today by a grammar school that I could go on the waiting list after the 26th March as I hadn't named them on my CAF but if you have named them you can go on the waiting list now even if you have accepted your offer, speak to the school in question they should be able to help.
clairewp

Re: Changing preference to go on waiting list

Post by clairewp »

Hi my son passed but i put grammer down second on my form, spoke to school and have already put in application. Was told i would get admissions pack after 26th so hoping i have place .
had enough

Post by had enough »

Just out of interest, why would you want to apply for a school that you ranked lower on your caf form when you have been fortunate enough to secure your first choice school?
Did your child fair better in the 11plus than you had envisaged?
clairewp

Post by clairewp »

Hi in reply to your question, the first choice was for a really good non grammer school which has a high subscription. I was advised by sons school to place this first. I was not over confident that my son would pass his 11+, although he was quite capable, i didn,t want him to go to another school for personal reasons, so i put Grammer second and am lucky in the fact that the Grammer school for boys in our area is never full after initial allocations.
2nd time arround

Concerning the waiting list, we are going to apply to go on the waiting list for a grammar that was not on our CAF (We were not offered any of the schools on our list) as I understood it we are added to the list along with parents that did name the school and may jump the list due to distance from school, but the school told me that I needed to apply in writing to them around 26th/27th March and they would then send me a different coloured form to be filled in and returned, therefore I understand this to mean places would be on offer before I was considered, I am not unhappy with this as I hadn't named them but hope all grammars are doing the same as it means I stand more chance of a place at my first named grammar. Has anyone else been told this?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

2nd time around - can you not appeal for the first choice grammar as well?
katel

Post by katel »

I know it's too late - but you were misinformed by the school, I'm afraid. There is no "first preference " any more. You could have put the grammar first, and your preferred high school second. He would then have got the grammar if he passed and your preferred high school (if he met the criteria) if he didn't.

I realize this isn't much use to you.... :(
2nd time arround

medwaymum, yes we have gone on their waiting list as well and are going to appeal, this is the first year in which they are foundation status so am not sure if that will help us or not, hence going on a waiting list for another grammar seemed a good idae.