Wilson's waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hmmm

Wilson's waiting list

Post by Hmmm »

Hi everyone:)
Is there any movement on Wilson's waiting list? Has anyone heard anything from them?
11plusplus

Re: Wilson's waiting list

Post by 11plusplus »

Any movements on Wilsons waiting list? :D
sen123

Post by sen123 »

Spoke to them this morning. No movement, no one has dropped out. They will contact me if there has been any change, next week. Good luck to all.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

This is interesting. Sutton Grammar School have also made no waiting list offers yet - only Wallington Boys has gone to its waiting list.

All three schools over-offered compared to their PAN. Both Sutton and Wally Boys offered 150 against their PAN of 135; not sure what Wilsons did but I think it was probably around 30 more offers than PAN. That would mean at least 60 more children were offered places than the schools have space for.

Do you think that the schools/admission authority have miscalculated? It would be unusual for the schools not to go to their waiting lists at all.
Slugterra mum

Post by Slugterra mum »

I think it's only Sutton and Wilson's that over offered this year, as Wally boys are increasing their numbers due to 2017 being the last intake of year 9. So therefore last year's intake and 2017 intake has been increased. Last year's intake (2016) has if not 150, at least 147 in it.

From their website, year 9 admissions criteria:

The Local Advisors (Governors) of the School do support the idea of holding a 13+ entrance examination so that we welcome new pupils into the school at ages 11, 13 and 16.
However, holding places deliberately vacant for Years 7 and 8 decreases the funding which we can direct to give our students the best possible education, and with the real terms funding reductions in education it is no longer possible to hold an 13+ entrance exam and consequently there are no plans to offer places to external students to join Wallington County Grammar School into Year 9 from 2018 onwards.

The funding crisis raising its head - again.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

According to the Wallington Boys website, they are admitting 135 Y7 boys in September 2017 - but of course they might have agreed to increase the number if they were asked to by the council.
Slugterra mum

Post by Slugterra mum »

Yes, I think they still say 135 because that is their published admissions number at the moment. (until 2018 - their admissions policy for 2018 is on their website and is for 150)

But any school can offer more than their PAN if they choose (and the LA says okay), it's only offering less than PAN that isn't allowed I think.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Even LA has nothing to do with PAN of Academies.
Slugterra mum is right. Any school can go over published PAN, if governors so decide.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Yes, but the question is, have they in fact decided to go to 150? Or are they sticking at 135 and have over-offered by 15?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Only school can confirm or we have to wait until the academic year begins.

If slugterra mum's info is correct ( and I don't doubt it), they took more than PAN last year too. And from 2018, the PAN is 150. So perhaps, this year's intake would be 150 too.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now