Second offers from Wilson and Sutton Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
farfas

Second offers from Wilson and Sutton Grammar

Post by farfas »

Hi
Just curious to know if anyone might have got a second offer from Wilson or Sutton grammar?
If yes please may I know what number are/were you told to be on the waiting list?

Thanks
streathammum

Re: Second offers from Wilson and Sutton Grammar

Post by streathammum »

I believe that SGS is currently at PAN so has not yet made any second round offers. I don't know about Wilsons.
sen123

Post by sen123 »

Spoke to Wilson's again this morning after a week. The lady in the office was extremely helpful, but the news wasn't great. She advised that there has been no movement and doesn't expect there to be any. Apparently, last year the little movement there was occurred in late July, which is unfair as parents are already planning for their current choice, i.e uniforms etc. Not holding any hope.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps Wilson's is still in over-offer position.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I presume that if either/both Wilsons or SGS end up with more acceptances than they have places, they will have to expand their PAN to take them all? They won't be able to withdraw offers, will they?

I wonder if this will affect the number of offers they make next year.
Bibliovore

Post by Bibliovore »

streathammum wrote: presume that if either/both Wilsons or SGS end up with more acceptances than they have places, they will have to expand their PAN to take them all?
But are they allowed to offer more than their PAN at national allocation? I thought that wasn't permitted.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

They have both offered more places than their published PAN - SGS made 149 offers for 135 places, Wilsons made 210 offers for 180 places. They have the permission of the local authority to do this and it's based on previous history of the number of places that are declined in favour of (I assume) private schools.

On this occasion, though, perhaps there were not as many declines as expected.
Bibliovore

Post by Bibliovore »

Bibliovore wrote:On this occasion, though, perhaps there were not as many declines as expected.
Thank you. It does seem different from other areas and leaves them - as may be the case this year - exposed to over-offers. I wonder why they don't just offer to PAN and let the waiting list operate to fill places declined, as schools in other areas do quite happily.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I think they must be pretty sure that based on previous experience the number that decline will get them back to PAN.
It means less time spent managing the waiting list I assume.
Wilson's do usually get to their waiting list but haven't gone very far down in recent years.
Offers won't be withdrawn.
Just had a look at the other thread on this.
Wilson's actually offered 218 so 38 over PAN this year.
I think that's more than previously and could explain why there has been no movement yet.
farfas

Post by farfas »

Thanks guys, so no hopes to pinch as such.
Just thinking would it have been so fair if they had more classes so as all boys like mine who are no given any offer should have been given a chance to become a great asset for this country.

Situation looks really disappointing at the moment.
Lets keep fingers crossed...