Is Anxiety/Stress an extenuating circumstance?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
relaxedMum77

Hearing Dates

Post by relaxedMum77 »

I have appealed to 2 Grammar schools in Kent. One i heard back from within a week with a hearing date for a couple of weeks time...the other i have not heard anything from at all. Is this normal? I keep worrying that my appeal letter did not get there!! Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated!!!
Mehere

Re: Hearing Dates

Post by Mehere »

Last year we appealed to a Kent Grammar school and hadn't received anything at this time. Our information with appeal date, paperwork etc. arrived at the end of the first week of May with an appeal date for stage 1 the week before May half term and stage 2 was mid June.

Some schools schedule their appeals later than others so I guess there is a longer time frame to collate all the information. The appeals team at KCC were very helpful and I'm sure you could ring them just to check they have your information.

Good Luck with both appeals.
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Thank you Mehere, that's useful to know.... i may leave it another couple of weeks and then put a call in if i haven't heard x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

There were very few school days in between the deadline for submission of an appeal (which I assume was 21st March?) and the Easter holidays. Now that schools are back, you should hear within a fortnight.
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Thank you Sally-Anne. My first appeal is next week (Nervous!!!!) Really hope i don't have to wait too long for the other.... i'm thinking about them 24/7!!!
relaxedMum77

Is Anxiety/Stress an extenuating circumstance?

Post by relaxedMum77 »

My first appeal date is getting closer and i have read all the advice on here about 100 times over in the last 6 months...thank you, it has been SO helpful. My son was 9 marks off a pass (not tutored...something i am living to regret!): not good..as fell short on both his maths and English paper. The Head Teacher did put in an appeal but unsuccessful. I have 2 amazing supporting letters from the school: 1 from the Head and the other from his year 6 Teacher. They state he is currently levels 5's in everything and by the end of year 6 will be 5a's-6's. They include that he is definitely most suited to a Grammar school and would thrive there.
My main defence is he had quite a high absence in year 5 so he missed certain areas of the curriculum. I now have some possible additional evidence: he has had some on-going issues since last summer (we visited the GP last August) but the issues have got worse. We did not connect this to the 11 plus at the time, but a recent GP visit, he has says he is suffering from anxiety/depression (and referred him to CAMHS)which he says started last summer as that was the lead up to his 11 plus test. The GP has said he is more than happy to put this in writing for us to take to the appeal.

Now im sure many kids get anxious leading up to the 11 plus. Is this likely to help or hinder my case? I don't want to be seen to be making excuses...i also don't want them thinking that the pressures of a Grammar school could trigger further problems. Although the GP stated that the right counselling now would help him prepare himself mentally for future exams eg GCSE's etc.

I know i need a strong case as he is 9 marks off. I am appealing to 2 Grammars: 1 for non-qualification and the other for both non-qualification AND over-subscription!! (the 2nd one, typically, being the one he really wants!!)
Any advice/help greatly appreciated x
Etienne

Re: Is Anxiety/Stress an extenuating circumstance?

Post by Etienne »

Is this likely to help or hinder my case? I don't want to be seen to be making excuses...
With the supporting evidence, I don't think it will hinder your case.
i also don't want them thinking that the pressures of a Grammar school could trigger further problems. Although the GP stated that the right counselling now would help him prepare himself mentally for future exams eg GCSE's etc.
It would be helpful if the GP puts that in the letter.

If I were to play devil's advocate, the panel might wonder how he's able to do so well ("by the end of year 6 will be 5a's-6's") with so much anxiety/depression/absence.

You, of course, will want to argue "Look how well he's done. He'll do even better when he gets all the help and support he needs!"

You could also try pointing out that the 11+ was significantly more traumatic for him than routine school work.

Is this a state school? I was under the impression "levels" have been replaced.
Etienne
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Thank you for your reply Eienne. His teacher has referred to the new levels and stated the equivalent old levels as the info pack for the appeal had said that panels may not be familiar with the new system so to make it clear.

His high absence was year 5 hence there were topics in the test that he had been absent for but during year 6 has learnt. As soon as he is shown how to do something he picks it up quickly. He does not feel stressed under a normal classroom environment... the GP thinks it's because it's the first time he would have sat a test in such a controlled environment e.g. The school hall. But to be honest I am now worried how he will be when he sits his SATS in a couple of weeks!
relaxedMum77

Post by relaxedMum77 »

Sorry me again! Is it normal in a hearing for a panel member to ask what school sibling attends?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

relaxedMum77 wrote:Sorry me again! Is it normal in a hearing for a panel member to ask what school sibling attends?
It depends on the reason.
The panel member, for example, might be trying to ascertain whether there could be logistical problems, getting children to school.
If so, this would be very reasonable.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now