Learning Korean

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rosy Pippin

Learning Korean

Post by Rosy Pippin »

My DD (13) who is very keen on all things Korean would like to attend a Korean language course in the summer. I can find evening classes aimed at adults but nothing for a week or so in the summer. Ideal would be a residential for a week or so with similarly aged beginners (she's been learning from KPOP and Kdramas).
It takes a village to raise a child
Amber

Re: Learning Korean

Post by Amber »

Rosy Pippin wrote:My DD (13) who is very keen on all things Korean would like to attend a Korean language course in the summer. I can find evening classes aimed at adults but nothing for a week or so in the summer. Ideal would be a residential for a week or so with similarly aged beginners (she's been learning from KPOP and Kdramas).
I think that unless you are prepared to travel to Korea, this is going to be a non-starter, sadly. She is too young for undergraduate summer schools, which are eye-wateringly expensive anyway (probably cheaper to take her to Seoul!), and I don't think it is mainstream enough for there to be a demand for it.
We have a similar situation in reverse here - a young adult who would like to do a ceramics/pottery or intensive music course over the summer but everything is aimed at children.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Amber wrote: a young adult who would like to do [...] intensive music course over the summer but everything is aimed at children.
I am surprised by this Amber. Some forty years ago, such courses were existing in France so I would not see why such course wouldn't exist in the UK nowadays!!
I do not have the time to check this website in depth and I do not even know which instrument your young adult is playing and at what level, but maybe have a look?
http://www.benslowmusic.org/index.asp?PageID=11#8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe Solimum ( or any musicians) could come and give some ideas of summer courses?
I would try to search further, Amber . Have you contacted several conservatories to get some ideas?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Amber wrote:We have a similar situation in reverse here - a young adult who would like to do a ceramics/pottery or intensive music course over the summer but everything is aimed at children.
Amber, on the art front, there might be something that takes his or her fancy here: https://www.missendenschoolofcreativearts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Residential options are available.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Rosy Pippin wrote:My DD (13) who is very keen on all things Korean would like to attend a Korean language course in the summer. I can find evening classes aimed at adults but nothing for a week or so in the summer. Ideal would be a residential for a week or so with similarly aged beginners (she's been learning from KPOP and Kdramas).
The greatest concentration of Korean speakers in the U.K. must be in or near New Malden. If you search for Beginners Korean summer course with that location, there's at least one tuition centre who claims to be able to arrange local accommodation. No idea about quality or price but it might be a starting point.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

There is a Korean language school, in Raynes Park, Coombe Lane near Train Station. I will try to find exact address.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

tiffinboys wrote:There is a Korean language school, in Raynes Park, Coombe Road near Train Station. I will try to find exact address.
This one? http://www.koreaneducentreinuk.org/en/k ... e-courses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks rather good, but there's no mention of summer courses. Maybe phone them?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Yes, thanks Stroller

This page has listed courses for 16 plus. But I have seen younger children going to centre in day time too. Best to get information from the centre directly.
Amber

Post by Amber »

JaneEyre wrote:I would try to search further, Amber . Have you contacted several conservatories to get some ideas?
Thank you. No, I haven't as this is for a DC and not for me. It isn't formal music which is needed - more kind of jamming, modern stuff and trying out new things. Very able musician but not into the whole formal orchestra thing.

Thank you to others for suggestions too - was not really wanting residential and has already observed that everything is for 'old people' (like mother, presumably!) or 'little kids' (left all that behind now :| ).

Sorry RP for the diversion - I was kind of saying it by way of illustration rather than to hijack the thread. :oops: Hope you find something. Marvellous to hear of young people wanting to learn new languages.

기이 :wink:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sorry op - can't help on Korean but Amber, get your DC to look out for a local crafts/arts fair and see if there is a Potter there. We have a Potter in our village- little studio in the garden - she has taught a fair few people to have a go and fires their stuff in the kiln etc. They may have to contribute to costs etc but most arty/crafty people are keen to encourage!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now