Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kefew

Appeals

Post by kefew »

Can anyone offer any information as to appeal / waiting list for KEFW.

How long should it take to get to number 10 and should a child be prejudiced by putting KEFW second but scoring 330.
HodgeHillDad

Post by HodgeHillDad »

I believe KE Foundation only allow 1st preferences to be on waiting list and that 2nd preferences or lower need to appeal
I also thought that if a pass score was achieved but a place was not offered due to higher preference school offering a place then the foundation does not give out actual scores
mm2

Post by mm2 »

KEFEW
R u waiting to get a place at KEFW?
As i understand it ( I would be happy to be corrected by KenR) if you put a school eg Camphill first and did not reach the required pass mark for that school , then the second school on your list would automatically become your first choice and there would be no difference to a child who has put that school first. From there if you were in the top 150 children to pass then you would be offered a place . If not, your third choice becomes your first etc.
If you have acheived a mark of 330 and not been offered a place, I assume it is because there were 150 children who acheived a higher mark.
I also assume that if you acheived a mark, of 400 say, which would get you into Camphill, if you had not put it first you would not get a plce but would probably be first to get into your first choice.

Hope this makes sense.
KES Parent

Re: Appeals

Post by KES Parent »

kefew wrote:Can anyone offer any information as to appeal / waiting list for KEFW.

How long should it take to get to number 10 and should a child be prejudiced by putting KEFW second but scoring 330.
Why don't you ring the KE Foundation Office? As far as I am aware, if the cut off is 330 and your child has scored 330 then they will either have been offered a place or be at the very top of the waiting list. That is assuming that your child hasn't been offered a place at a school you placed higher on the LEA preference form, in which case he or she won't be on the waiting list at all because you have already been offered a school you prefer more.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi kefew

I assume you have asked the question because you have friends who are in that position.

mm2 is quite correct, if you don't get your 1st choice KE Grammar then they look at you 2nd or 3rd choice and if you meet the pass criteria then you child will be offered a place. There is no penalty for putting the school 2nd or 3rd on the list.

Further if you get offered a place at your 2nd or 3rd choice KE grammar but didn't get into you 1st choice, then you will still remain on the waiting list for your 1st (or 2nd) choice preference right up till the end of August.

As regards Waiting list movements, I have only empirical figures from previous years - your friends need to contact the KE Foundaton Office to get the facts for this year and their personal circumstances. If you press them they will also give you a realistic assessment of lilely movement.

The issue with all of the KEGS schools is that they set the pass mark and hence offer places well over their PAN. This is because they know from past experience that parents will often accept a firm offer of a place at another KE or B/ham grammar rather than stay on the waiting list. So some years ago they actually found that the Pass Mark dropped during the rejection/Waiting List process.

So most of the Heads started making significantly more offers than their PAN.

For example, KECH for Sept 2005 entry made 114 offers (for 93 places), whereas for Sept 2006 they made 124 offers. The suggestion was they they had significantly more than 21 rejections for the Sept 2005 entry (and possibly event close to 31 rejections - otherwise they would be beyond their PAN)

I think someone on the B/ham forum said that KEFW had made 170 offers this year for 150 places - don't know if this is correct.

The downside of this for parents whose children is that the over allocation offers have first to be used up before the respective Waiting Lists start to reduce. So you may find that it doesn't drop that much.

However, having said that you will have some parents that decide to take up the offer of a place at another school even if they get to the top of a KEGS waiting list and are offered a place.

For what it's worth, if KEFW have made 170 offers and if you friend is 10th on the Waiting List, then I would have thought there is a reasonable chance of success.

Did your friend put KE Aston on the list and has he/she been offered a place there?

Hope this helps
mm2

Post by mm2 »

hi
what happens if they have made more offers than places and more people accept than expected and they are over their PAN?
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

I heard that a few years ago KE Aston had to have one extra form in that particular year because they had 'over offered' and nearly all had accepted. I'm not 100% sure of this but it did come from a reliable source.
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

Dear all I phoned the foundation office & can confirm that I was told 170 offers were made for 150 places.
I was gutted as a dear friend of mine is in the top 20 "reverse" list and when I asked the chances of a places being offered to what I had orginally thought was high on the probablity ratings they told me that there was "little to no chance" she said " that would mean one third of people offered a place would refuse it and THAT doesn't happen!"
Still holding on for hope!
Is there ant point in writing to the school ??? just a thought?!? :roll:
kefew

Post by kefew »

Thank-you all who replied - I will pass on the info. I too was told by the foundation office that 170 places have been offered for KEFW so let's hope 30 drop out.
confusedmom

Post by confusedmom »

40! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now