Does anyone know how many children sit the test each year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
smileandsparkle

Does anyone know how many children sit the test each year

Post by smileandsparkle »

Hi,

Trying to work out roughly how many children are successful out of all those who sit the test? So with PAN being roughly 1000 places in total - what percentage of children get offered a place and how many get let down?

My daughter sat a mock test last weekend and ranked roughly smack bang in the middle out the small group of children who the test with her - think she came out 53%. Trying to work out what her chances are and how much work we have to do to get her in!

Ideally we are looking at HSFG or Ribston - does anyone know the weighting between VR/NVR/Maths? I'm sure I've seen it somewhere but I cant seem to find it!

Thanks.
ToadMum

Re: Does anyone know how many children sit the test each yea

Post by ToadMum »

Re the number of sitters, there is this thread from last year:

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... tting+HSFG
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
smileandsparkle

Hi ToadMum,

Thanks for the link but it doesn't seem to be working for me - its taking me to the home page - any chance you could copy the content for me?

Thanks!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Well, that's just weird :lol: .

Here you go:
(Quoting cazien)
Local press reported the following numbers for Oct 2015:-

2000+ for 900 places:-

400 at Pates - 150 places
310 at STR - 120 places
250 at Crypt - 112 places
250 at Marling - 150 places
300 at SHS - 150 places
300+ at HSFG - 128
No figure for Ribston - 120 places.

I would expect a higher demand to sit the test this year - Marling and Stroud High have already stated (allegedly!) highest number ever are sitting this year (300 at Marling and 301 at Stroud High) and I expect all other Grammars to be the same.

Good luck!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

I would be really wary of assuming that because your child came roughly midway in a mock that they would be roughly midway overall. I think the people who put their children in for mocks are not necessarily the norm and would tend to have better achieving children. Their parents are probably more invested in getting the child a grammar school place as are the parents on this forum. The majority will not be on this forum and would not be entering mocks. This is in no way a criticism of us all, merely an observation.

I entered my second child for a mock purely because she was not particularly good (at the time) with new situations. She came way down the rankings. We didn't change anything on the basis of the result, just thought that maybe she wasn't going to pass. In fact she passed for HSFG, SHS and Ribston and was high on the waiting list for Pate's.
smileandsparkle

Thanks ToadMum and FluffyCat - thats all really good to know.

Interesting about more children sitting the test this year - and a little bit terrifying!

I also saw at HSFG open day that they actual didn't even fill their PAN for this coming Sept 2017 start and are retesting new applicants to fill the spaces - does that mean not enough girls opted to put HSFG on their list, or because not enough girls reached the pass rate?

Confused me a little bit as I don't know enough about how it works - she's desperate to pass for a grammar and HSFG would be our preferred choice as its 2 seconds from where I drop the other kids off to primary!! :lol:

FluffyCat -well done to your 2nd child - she must have been really disheartened to come way down on the mock but to pass for all those schools is an amazing achievement - well done!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

smileandsparkle wrote:I also saw at HSFG open day that they actual didn't even fill their PAN for this coming Sept 2017 start and are retesting new applicants to fill the spaces - does that mean not enough girls opted to put HSFG on their list, or because not enough girls reached the pass rate?
If that is what happened then it means not enough put it on the CAF. The 'pass mark' is notional and norm-referenced, i.e. there is not an actual number of right answers needed to be successful. That way, the 'right' number of children are supposed to pass for the county's grammar schools, although because of the way in which preferences are exercised and the traditional but unwritten hierarchy, predicting demand isn't straightforward and for girls in particular, the choice of grammar or even non-grammar might not be so obvious. HSFG used to be more popular than Ribston but I don't think it is any more; and the entry of Crypt into the girl market is likely to make that even less straightforward. Schools rise and fall in popularity, shall we say. I think you should be very optimistic about your daughter gaining a place at HSFG if that is her preferred school. :)
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

I think that the re-testing is for entry in to year 8 in Sept 2017, not for year 7.

I believe PAN was 128 for Sept 2016 which was met. This year (2017) it is 150 so they must be trying to bring the numbers up in the current year 7s (2016) to match the intake for this Sept.

From HSFG website :-

Year 7 Admissions Testing for places in Year 8 2017-18
We have places available for current Year 7 moving forward into Year 8 2017-18, we will therefore be conducting testing on Monday, 3rd July 2017. Students will be assessed using CATs (Cognitive Ability Tests), these will be conducted online. Places will be awarded in accordance with our Admissions Policy (available on our website), should we have more students who meet the Qualifying Standard than places available we will create a waiting list.

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/media ... 017-v2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; indicates that PAN was allocated.
cazien

Post by cazien »

As MedievalBabe posted on Sun 30 April in

Post subject: Re: Movement in year 7. How many places become available?

I have a few friends daughters in y7 at HSFG and at least 1 class has lost 4 girls, one due to moving away, one moved to an Indy and the others were struggling and have gone to comps. As we are all aware sometimes children are able to pass the test but are unable to maintain the pace and workload once there.

HSFG definitely allocated places on appeal (to non-qualification applicants as well), so, if smileandsparkle is correct for this years PAN not being filled yet, maybe this is a good year to appeal :? :?: I think can'tthinkofone is correct stating the testing is for entry into year 8, but I doubt they will make this 150 though.
smileandsparkle

Oh I see can'tthinkofone - that makes sense, I must have misread the sign when we looked round!!

I'm hoping that Crypt going co-ed from 2018 will help us as it gives us a) another choice to consider, and b) fingers crossed a better chance of getting HSFG as less competition!!

I'm saying that but we haven't actually looked round Ribston yet - thats next month. All opinions could change when we get there since the last time we looked round a few years ago when it was a friends daughters turn..

Thanks all.