IPS 11+ Daily Tests Book1 Paper 1

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Drastic Dad

IPS 11+ Daily Tests Book1 Paper 1

Post by Drastic Dad »

Please can somebody help me with these two questions and how they are done? Thanks in advance!

Q#5: Below you will see four words and three of their codes. One of the codes is missing. Using the same code, covert the word or number below. :

ROPE POUR POLE PLAN

3791 3956 2731

Find the code for the word 'PANEL'

A: 35619

Q# 10

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

In this question a word had been written in a code. An example has been worked out for you. You must now work out the missing word using the same code.

If the code for JELLY is KDMKZ
what does QHUBI mean?

A: PITCH
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Three of the words start with P only two of the codes do si ROPE must be 2731

ROPE

Look at the other codes

3 7 9 1
P O E

3 9 5 6
P - - -

so 9 must be L making second word above PLAN

so 35619 is PANEL

Hope that helps -
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

I can see that ROPE is the odd one out and so is 2731:
R 2
O 7
P 3
E 1
U(5?)
A(6?)
N(??)
L(9?)
Using 'E' as the point of reference we decode POLE as 3791 giving us L as 9.
and the other three 'P' words start with '3' which means 'P' is '3' but how do we decode U, A and N?

As far as the second question is concerned, I can see a movement of +1-1+1-1+1 between JELLY and KDMKZ but this movement is inverted to -1+1-1+1-1 between the answer 'PITCH' and example 'QHUBI'. This is a big difference and can confuse a good many. Am I missing something or are such diversions from the example meant to be expected?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Once we know L is 9

then

3 9 5 6 is
P L - - and must be PLAN giving us 5 as A and 6 as N.

Is that OK?
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Guest55 wrote:Once we know L is 9

then

3 9 5 6 is
P L - - and must be PLAN giving us 5 as A and 6 as N.

Is that OK?

I think the other is harder and perhaps the other answers help you eliminate ?

So Q goes to R or P etc
Interesting. I think I am seeing it now. It involves some guessing, ie. why is PL 'PLAN' not PLEA or PLUS or PLOT etc. We have to eliminate a huge number of possibilities here, make a new key and decode the whole thing again. I must say this is a very difficult question for a 10 year old (I always tell my 10 year old that his brain has to be sharper than mine because he is young and carefree). I find it quite difficult. Thanks for the help. There has to be a formula for doing this one.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The rope, plan etc question is quite easy once you use logic.

We're on the same book as you and did these questions yesterday - both questions caught us out at first, it wouldn't be so bad if they told you WHY the answers were as they were!!

The Jelly question can be answered thus:

Jelly to KDMKZ works in the pattern +1 forward then -1 backward - taking you from a proper word to code.

When you come to work out QHUBI you are going FROM code TO a proper word, so you need to REVERSE it IE: instead of +1 forward THEN -1 backward, you need to go -1 backward, then +1 forward.

Sounds weird seeing it written like that, but work it out on paper and you will see what I mean - it also becomes logical, which is even ore worrying!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ROPE POUR POLE PLAN

only these words are involved in this question so it can't be anything else -
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Guest55 wrote:ROPE POUR POLE PLAN

only these words are involved in this question so it can't be anything else -
Took my eyes off the ball, didn't I? Thanks for the help. The mystery is solved. Much appreciated.
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Just finished doing the paper with my boy. He just whizzed through the above two questions. That was scary, specially when he managed to guess the code for PLAN with a few seconds! Then he got stuck on a very simple one where he had to take a letter out of CHEAP and add it to SPIT to make a new word without rendering the first word meaningless. He couldn't get that one in'spite' of my repeated hints. When I finally told him the answer he went 'Oh!' which really makes me angry. Still I was happy with the performance, our first brush with the IPS papers. We've been doing Bond NVR papers without any difficulty whatsoever but IPS look menacing!

Thanks, once again, Snowdrops and Guest55.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Drastic Dad

Have you had a look at the free Method & Technique course by The Tutors, that is available from the free download section of this site? Both the questions you have referred to are covered in some depth with additional practice questions.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now