Food Tech?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bewildered

Food Tech?

Post by Bewildered »

How important do people feel the subject of Food Tech is?

I ask because I am aware that it will not be taught at DS1's secondary school.
Personally, if it is similar to what I was taught in HE, (millenia ago, back in my youth :wink: ), I'm not overly worried and believe I can cover basics at home, in our day to day life.

If on the other hand, as with many things in this day and age, they cover a lot of intriguing and wonderful new insights, should I be concerned?

Any insights welcomed :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Ideally pupils should experinece the full range of Technology aspects - resistant materials, graphics, textiles, food technology and some schools offer electronics.

Food Tech is more than 'cooking' it's about healthy eating etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesi ... /foodtech/

Personally I think it's one of the more important aspects.
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Please correct me if I am wrong (I Know no-one will hesitate!) but I thought food tech was going to be made compulsory. My son's GS has just had new ********* built so that they can now promote this subject. Personally speaking, I feel that Food Tech will be much more beneficial to my offspring in the long term rather than resistant materials, for example.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I understand that 'cooking for life' or somesuch is to be made compulsory:

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools ... 68,00.html

Probably my most useful 'O' level has been textiles - I can make a costume for any purpose from the most unlikely bits and bobs! :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Guest55 wrote:
Probably my most useful 'O' level has been textiles - I can make a costume for any purpose from the most unlikely bits and bobs! :lol:

:D Didn't do textiles at O level but spent YEARS watching Blue Peter - reckon I could make anything out of a washing up liquid bottle and some "sticky back plastic"
ThursdaysGirl

Post by ThursdaysGirl »

I'm glad it is to be made compulsory as all my youngest daughter talks about is being a chef!

She is eleven and at Grammar but her greatest love is cooking. I am at this very moment on the web trying to find a venue that holds children’s cookery classes through the summer.

Please do not ask me why this is her dream, it just is! So I will encourage four fold.

My eldest (at University) is looking to go into M16 when she has obtained her degree and if honest, The Police, or any intelligence forces is so far from my radar, that as a parent, I would rather have my finger and toe nails pulled out by some rusty pliers than encourage such... I know, should I say so, or even intimate my dislike that she will run even closer to that conclusion. I with baited breath and fingers crossed daily, hope that the route she takes is in Law and not M16...

My youngest wanting to cook seems so safe compared with the above. Bring it on is what I say. <gg>
Thursdays Girl. :)
One World, One People, US!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now