query: slough waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
greatmum

query: slough waiting list

Post by greatmum »

HI,
Does anyone know if slough waiting list has moved at all. Haven't received an offer yet. She was 23rd on their list.
chad

Post by chad »

Haven't any info yet but trying to glean as much as possible now Slough are not in the consortium. From your post i am assuming that your child achieved the 11+ score but didn't get an offer in the first round.
Would it be possible for you to give details of your childs score for future reference.
I would think that there will be movement on the waiting list as some children will have got offers for both Slough and the Consortium schools (as well as Reading).... the backlog will be if they have an offer from Slough but are on the waiting list for a first preference.....Reading/Kendrick/Langley/Herschel... they will not reject Slough until they are sure of an offer. :(
Good luck!
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Thanks for your response. her score was 112 for slough and 116 for Langley so its waiting game for me.
chad

Post by chad »

I moved this topic into Berks....I think there is more chance of a reply.
:)
Historically 112 should receive an offer for Slough.......116 is on the border for Langley. Hopefully we should start hearing about waiting list offers soon. The waiting is the hardest part. :roll:
venus

Post by venus »

Hi greatmum,

we are all in the waiting game at the moment.
I was wondering if you have had any offers from no-grammer school selection, as in our case we are waiting on langley but have been offered a normal comp instead with a deadline to respond.

chad - if we accept the local comp does that ruin our chances on waiting lists.
page

waiting list

Post by page »

Once again it is sad to see a child has passed and is on waiting list, my child is on a waiting list for herschel. I feel the schools are offering kids who have failed after appeal and then puting children on waiting list who have passed.

This system needs to be changed

A angry Parent
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Hi venus,
yes we have accepted an offer from local comp as advised by someone. we didn't want to loose a place if worse happens and she doesn't get a place at any grammar school.
langley/mum

Post by langley/mum »

Hi Great Mum.

I am surprised to hear from you that there is a waiting list for Slough Grammar.
I think we are unfortunate here in Berkshire..... children that have a successful appeal for non-qualification, get offered a place.....but children who have passed are not guaranteed a place but may be on a nail biting waiting list.
In other area's such as Buck's,an 11plus pass guarantee's a grammar school place(if you live in Bucks) and a successful appeal is equivalent just passing and the the places are then allocated according to the admission's criteria.(I think this is correct from what I've learnt on this forum)
Not that I want to make you feel any worse than you probably do but I have heard of several successful appeals for SG,all on 110 but I assumed there were places!

Not that anyone wants to appear bitter but it doesn't seem fair,does it?
LM
chad

Post by chad »

Slough has historically offered down to 111 (when in the consortium)..... I would have thought that now they are a separate entity it will take longer for the shuffle to take place within the Slough area grammars.

Venus.... yes I would accept the offer from the local comp, as it the only offer you have from the Lea and you are on a deadline... you can always decline at a later date if offered from a waiting list.

langley/mum.... trying to understand the system in Slough is such a headache. I don't think anyone has heard of the word 'transparent'.
venus

Post by venus »

hi again.
was visiting schools today and met another parent, subject went on to 11+ and was shocked to hear a slough grammer appeal not qualified as succesfull, i asked as i know the child involved.
I do not know how true - but they appealed with a mark well below the 111 pass mark and i mean this was low, i do not want to say as its quite upsetting.
must have been really really extreme circumstances.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now