Wilson mock test results received by email last night

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Wilson mock test results received by email last night

Post by Daogroupie »

It is interesting that the Maths results are a lot higher than the English results.

A Maths score of 93% only resulted in a rank in the 90s but a English score of 81% resulted in a rank in the 70s.

The level of detail provided for each section was very helpful. This will really help candidates to focus their preparation.

I know of students who are puzzled as to why they did badly in the Sutton mocks but the level of information provided from this test shows which categories where the marks were lost.

It would however be very useful to see a full breakdown of results from all 704 of the candidates to see the English/Maths combination that got you into the top fifty. This is data you get from Sutton which is very helpful. DG
nadkha

Re: Wilson mock test results received by email last night

Post by nadkha »

Does anyone know what the pass mark would be for this mock ?
totatoti

Post by totatoti »

Based on the feedback that they sent, a rough guidance is that a child who obtained at least 65% of each paper should theoretically pass the SET.

Thank you DG for the feedback, I agree it would be more useful to have the whole group detailed marking same as Sutton.

Based on the actual % and the standardized score from this test, it appears that:

Maths: 85% is considered as average (standardized score 70)
English: 72% is considered as average (standardized score 70)

So obviously results from maths test is a lot higher than English.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

totatoti wrote:Based on the feedback that they sent, a rough guidance is that a child who obtained at least 65% of each paper should theoretically pass the SET.

Thank you DG for the feedback, I agree it would be more useful to have the whole group detailed marking same as Sutton.

Based on the actual % and the standardized score from this test, it appears that:

Maths: 85% is considered as average (standardized score 70)
English: 72% is considered as average (standardized score 70)

So obviously results from maths test is a lot higher than English.
I am confused.

The mean raw score is usually represented as a standardised score of 100. A standardised score of 70 would normally represent the lower end of the distribution.

A paper in which the average raw score is 85% is one which was pretty easy for many of those who took it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
totatoti

Post by totatoti »

ToadMum,

Standardized score of 70, instead of 100, was used by Wilson's mock based on their written feedback sent together with test result.

My son got overall standardized score of 164 and I can work out it is equivalent to 234 on the basis of standardized score of 100.

I would not say maths paper was easy but probably it was certainly not time pressure compared to Sutton mocks. My son finished both maths and English paper for Wilson's mock with each still had about 20 minutes left to the end. He did try to review his marking and found a couple of errors... Certainly not easy to review your own work but he did attempt.
HYG

Post by HYG »

DS scored as follows:

Maths 35/41 which is 85.37% which ranked him 255 in Maths.

English 35/50 which is 70% which ranked him 300 in English.

Daogroupie stated that in Maths a score of 93% resulted in a rank score in the 90's.
To get 93% a child had to get 38/45. Therefore 3 marks made a difference of approx 165 places (rank score), therefore each mark can equate to approx 55 places.

In English, Daogroupie said 81% got a rank score in the 70's. To get 81% requires a score of 40.5/50. Therefore the 4.5 extra points made a difference of approx 230 places.

If each point will make a diffierence of upto 50 places then it does seem very difficult to know where a child stands at present in terms of his/her chances of getting in the top 180.

Is this how you all read the data?
totatoti

Post by totatoti »

HYG,

What you read the data appeared to be correct but you cant really apply it to different tests which may different difficulty level.

Sutton mock A: only 5% of number of children (i.e. 60 out of 1320) got maths result of at least 80%

Sutton mock B: this ratio went up to 21% (i.e. 332 out of 1616)

Wilson: the ratio is even higher - 36% of number of children got math result of at least 85% (instead of 80%) based on your DS score and ranking. So will be higher than 36% if we can extend the result score to 80%.

If your son attended Sutton mocks then try to see where he stands within the cohort and how it is consistent with the Wilson test.
HYG

Post by HYG »

It has been suggested (by tuition center) that even a rank score of 284 may have been enough to get into the initial 180 or close on the waiting list.

This was based on the notion that the Wilson test includes girls (who can be discounted as they would not sit the Wilson test) can also remove
the children who would not choose Wilson as a high preference. Of course, in the actual test there will be more than the 704 children who sat the test.

Any thoughts?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

totatoti wrote:Standardized score of 70, instead of 100, was used by Wilson's mock based on their written feedback sent together with test result.

My son got overall standardized score of 164 and I can work out it is equivalent to 234 on the basis of standardized score of 100.
You cannot do this without knowing the standard deviation that was used for the standardisation. How do you know what it was in either case?
Bluearrow

Post by Bluearrow »

HYG wrote:It has been suggested (by tuition center) that even a rank score of 284 may have been enough to get into the initial 180 or close on the waiting list.

This was based on the notion that the Wilson test includes girls (who can be discounted as they would not sit the Wilson test) can also remove
the children who would not choose Wilson as a high preference. Of course, in the actual test there will be more than the 704 children who sat the test.

Any thoughts?
I would be cautious with that conclusion. This is the first year that Wilson's is running the mock test. Not every boy who will sit the exam this September attended the mock.