Numerical Reasoning

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

squareofthewicket

Numerical Reasoning

Post by squareofthewicket »

Hello All
We visited HBS yesterday on their open day. During her talk, the Head Teacher mentioned that the first stage test will consist of
  • Verbal Reasoning
  • Numerical Reasoning
I had it from a trusted source that HBS exams definitely have NVR tests. I am a little confused now. Will the numerical reasoning tests have some aspects of NVR ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Regards
Squareofthewicket
2pass

Re: Numerical Reasoning

Post by 2pass »

squareofthewicket wrote:Hello All
We visited HBS yesterday on their open day. During her talk, the Head Teacher mentioned that the first stage test will consist of
  • Verbal Reasoning
  • Numerical Reasoning
I had it from a trusted source that HBS exams definitely have NVR tests. I am a little confused now. Will the numerical reasoning tests have some aspects of NVR ?

Regards
Squareofthewicket
Hi Squareofthewicket

you made me laugh
you said" from trusted source" and ask then the public. better you say untrusted source.
anyway I have no idea and I too interested to know about it
squareofthewicket

2pass wrote:
squareofthewicket wrote:Hello All
  • Verbal Reasoning
  • Numerical Reasoning

Regards
Squareofthewicket
Hi Squareofthewicket

you made me laugh
you said" from trusted source" and ask then the public. better you say untrusted source.
anyway I have no idea and I too interested to know about it
My so called trusted source is a friend whose DD is studying in Year 9 at HBS. During the next six or so weeks I just want to ensure that my DD has her focus on revising and practising the relevant things and working on her weak points.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is no NVR in the HBS exam.

HBS exam Round One is CEM VR and Numerical Reasoning.

DG
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You might find this section helpful https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ld-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scary mum wrote:You might find this section helpful https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ld-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a couple of errors on that page, though...

- it seems that there are now 104 places in year 7, not 93

- if this bit ('Test types') is correct:

The results of Round One (verbal and numerical reasoning tests) will be combined, standardized and placed in rank order. On the basis of this rank order, the top 300 candidates will be invited back to sit Round Two in October 2017. The results of Round Two will be combined with the results from Round One, standardized and placed in rank order before being submitted to the Local Authority who will offer the highest ranked applicants in accordance with parental preference. ,

this bit ('Scores') can't be:

The results of part one will be combined, standardised and placed in rank order. The top 500 candidates will then have their English and Maths tests marked. The results of all 4 sections will be combined and placed in order of rank.  ?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

HBS has not had any NVR for years and years - your so called 'trusted source' in Y9 won't have done NVR when she took the tests :!:

Better give your 'trusted source' a talking to. :wink:
piggys

Post by piggys »

OP why did you not believe the Headteacher when she explained the format of the exam? did you think she was misinformed about her own school?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:OP why did you not believe the Headteacher when she explained the format of the exam? did you think she was misinformed about her own school?
Possibly the Trusted Source's DD took more than one entrance exam and nearly four years later they have all melded into one in her memory?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
squareofthewicket

Thank you everyone for your reply.
So it looks like they will not have an NVR section after all. One less thing to worry about which I guess is a good thing.

Regards
Squareofthewicket
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now