preparation materials

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
toy

preparation materials

Post by toy »

Can someone please explain the VR type question for Bexley and recommended material for them. Also any recommendation on mathematics and past paper would be appreciated. Thanks
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Toy - we'd all like to know the answer to that one! You can try emailing Bexley LEA but they'll probably give you the same answer they gave to me and to Tracy - the maths paper will reflect the curriculum covered up to the start of Year 6 (as if!) and they don't know how many question types will be in the VR.

But, as I said in my post to you on the Kent site, if your son is in year 4 I'd caution against doing too much preparation too early.

Bexley and Kent tests are set by NFER and there are only a limited number of practice tests available (4 in each of Maths, English, VR and NVR) so you're best saving those until much nearer the time.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

in teh mean time you could concentrate on vocabulary, quick recall of tables and recognition of patterns and sequences....these are underlying skills which will help not only 11+ but also schoolwork in general
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Toy,

I would concentrate on Maths now. Make sure the your child is working to to the top end of the year group. If this is already the case, focus on the next year up and so on so that your child has an excellent grasp of that subject.

I have already given my year 4 daughter some informal VR and NVR tests just for curiosity. I'm not giving her any more at the moment at we too are focusing on the Maths side. (My daughter plans to do the Kent test aswell that's why we are still interested in the NVR).

I plan to start VR/NVR a year in advance of the tests using NFER and also something from this site. I'm still trying to decide which CD to purchase.
Like BM2 has said, hold back the actual NFER papers till nearer the time but supplement the learning with something else. I have been trying to establish what is the closest thing myself but until our Council provides a sample paper (expected this summer to yr 5 parents) we are all in the dark.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Tracy, the Tutors VR CD 1 is appropriate for the Kent test
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

thanks yoyo 123