CEM Vocabulary - Antonyms & Synonyms help

CEM 11 Plus is the selective entrance exam administered by the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring, Department of Education, University of Durham.

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sjroshan

CEM Vocabulary - Antonyms & Synonyms help

Post by sjroshan »

Hi All,
I'm new to this forum and feel stressed as my DS seems to be struggling and scoring low on antonyms and synonyms. I understand its a vast scope of words. He will be sitting the exam next month in Sept 2017 and would like to know if there are any tips or techniques to cover these now, less than 5 weeks left for exam?

I currently use flash cards to supplement the word bank provided by the tutor my DS attends, but its more of the techniques on retention in memory that I'm worried about.

What is the weight-age of this section in the CEM English/VR paper?

Any guidance or comments would be greatly appreciated
Daogroupie

Re: CEM Vocabulary - Antonyms & Synonyms help

Post by Daogroupie »

This will depend on which CEM paper you are sitting? Which school are you sitting for?

Reading Classics or having audiobooks will really help with vocab.

I always find that students who struggle with vocab are those who do not read challenging texts. Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Treasure Island, all stuffed full of CEM words. DG
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

Thanks DG for your reply. Yes, you were spot on...as my DS is not too keen in reading books.

He will be sitting the exam in Ilford, Essex for Ilford County Boys.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is part of CEM Super Saturday which is the most common CEM in the UK so there is lots you can read about this CEM.

You need to be posting and reading in the CEM section not the VR section.

Get some audio cds to listen to in the car, Huck Finn, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, Wind in the Willows. DG
Hera

Post by Hera »

I think with a month to go you it might be better served getting some of the Vocab books if you don't already have then. First Past The Post publish 3 Vocabulary CEM books which are good. Other publishers provide similar material too. Have a look in the shop on here. Good luck!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Play word games like scrabble, allowing the use of a dictionary. There are also quite a few word games online if you google it.

Use your flash cards to play a family game. For instance, make a dice or spinner with a for antonym , s for synonym. Turn up a card, throw or spin to choose between antonym or synonym and then write as many antonyms or synonyms of the word as you can in a fixed time. Winner gets a point, or a sweet or 10p, whichever motivates you the most!
Have a dictionary and thesaurus on hand to settle arguments or wild claims. I find that children forget that they are learning when you play games, especially competitive games!

Try bingo type games too.

A snakes and ladders board is good for playing against an adult. The child is only allowed to go up a ladder if they can answer a question (use your flash cards), similarly they can stop going down a snake if they answer correctly. When it is the adults turn, the child can make them go down the snake by answering a question correctly (if they get it wrong, the adult's counter stays where it is. If the adult lands on a ladder, the child has a chance to stop them going up the ladder by answering the question correctly. I have played this with all sorts of themes, spellings, times tables, definitions etc.

Good Luck!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Mods , can you move this to the CEM section so that others can benefit from the tips on here. Thanks DG
sjroshan

Post by sjroshan »

Thanks everyone for your comments. Hera - I've bought FPTP Vocabulary CEM books and few other books to supplement his learning. But its the retention part that I was concerned but he is working on the weak areas.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now