Bucks from Ealing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MontyUd

Bucks from Ealing

Post by MontyUd »

Hi,

DS is appearing for Bucks Exam this year. We are currently living in Ealing and hence wondering if there are any schools that admit students without any catchment / priority area?

Please note that we will absolutely relocate to Bucks, if DS gets admission!

Thanks,
MontyUd
scary mum

Re: Bucks from Ealing

Post by scary mum »

Have you looked at the admission arrangements? It's always a good place to start. And no, your child will not get a place from Ealing, so best not to out him through the stress.
scary mum
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Hi MontyUd,
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will answer you soon, but basically all the Bucks Grammar schools allocate places firstly on achieving the pass mark and then they allocate by distance from the school based on where you are living at a certain date. So if your DS is taking the test next week then your current address is the one that they will use should he pass the exam. If it is this year that he is taking the exam then I would suggest that you visit the schools that you are interested in before the deadline for submitting applications to find out which one you like, but bear in mind that the majority of them will not allocate out places as far as your current address.
Agree with Scarymum, I'm afraid.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You son will not get in from Ealing, it's very simple. Please visit the school websites& do not put your son through this. You may also take a place away from someone who could gain admission, as they are standardised scores - approximately 30% will get 121 or over, then it is on distance.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

As an outside observer here, I wonder whether Bucks CC or whoever administers these tests actually informs people registering for the test of the residence requirements in clear, unambiguous terms? A regular feature of this forum in the years (and years!) since I joined is this type of query, or worse, ones where a child has passed the test and has no chance whatsoever of getting a place. It is obvious from recent events in Herts, as well as this sort of thing, that the 11+ is unsustainable (I hope!) but a genuine question - if someone registers to sit the test in Bucks from a location where they won't get a place, does the admissions authority tell them this, in words of one syllable?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

if someone registers to sit the test in Bucks from a location where they won't get a place, does the admissions authority tell them this, in words of one syllable?
They do indeed send emails to OoC applicants spelling out the likelihood of getting a place very clearly.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It is all easily accessible on the Bucks website (which you have to negotiate anyway to apply for the rest). I believe (no recent experience) that Bucks also write to let them know but that may be at the "pass" stage, I'm not sure.
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Sally-Anne wrote:
if someone registers to sit the test in Bucks from a location where they won't get a place, does the admissions authority tell them this, in words of one syllable?
They do indeed send emails to OoC applicants spelling out the likelihood of getting a place very clearly.
Really? My friends from Reading seem to think that they've got a good chance of getting into a Bucks GS. And i know they've been reading the emails :?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

BlueBerry wrote:Really? My friends from Reading seem to think that they've got a good chance of getting into a Bucks GS. And i know they've been reading the emails :?
I did see a copy of what they write, but I can't seem to find it now. It may turn up later.

From something she wrote a couple of days ago, I think Aethel once received the email because she is OoC (just), so she may still have a copy.
jay.dank

Bucks from Ealing

Post by jay.dank »

I do not agree. I think you can get a place. There are children in Bucks schools who are OOC and even from Ealing.

In the past there were spare places for children in Bucks grammar schools that you would have been offered a place.

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/11 ... es_reveal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2015:
John Hampden Grammar School – 22 empty places
Chesham Grammar School – 19 empty places
Burnham Grammar School – 11 empty places
Aylesbury High School – 9 empty places
Sir Henry Floyd Grammar School – 29 empty places
Sir William Borlase Grammar School – 1 empty place

If you think the test is right for your child, take the test. Your child has as much right to a school in Bucks as a local child. I find this catchment system backwards. Many grammar schools around the country do not have catchment areas and welcome all children where ever they live or wish to move once offered a place. Bucks parents believe the grammar schools in the area belong only to their children. It's just not true as school funding follows a child from central government and not local taxes. What is more important is where a child lives when they attend school and not where the live when they apply. Few children would travel more than 1 hour each way and this is decision for parents and not schools. Good luck.