Advice Needed :)

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ipswich-mum

Advice Needed :)

Post by Ipswich-mum »

Hi Everyone,

Our younger son is sitting for 11+ Exam for an Essex Grammar School this month. We are also applying for Two local Independent Schools as a back up (Academic and Sport Scholarship). We have followed the same procedure 2 years ago for our older son & he is now studying at a Grammar School (He also received an Academic Scholarships from both these Indi Schools but he has decided to go for the Grammar option)

This time around I really don't know how to proceed / say during the interviews at Independent Schools. They know that we have declined their generous Academic Scholarship offer and gone for the Grammar two years ago for our older son. it is going to be a bit awkward them knowing our younger son will be taking 11+ as well & probably will chose the Grammar option if he passes.

Has anyone been in this situation before?

Thank you

Ipswich-mum
Bazelle

Re: Advice Needed :)

Post by Bazelle »

Hmm, private schools are a business and they want to keep their position on the league tables. If your son does extremely well they will offer him a place with scholarship this time around too I am inclined to think. For kids that do extremely well in the entrance exam, the interview process is mainly to rule out any pain in the neck kid that will be annoying to teach and disturb the classroom.
MrsB

Re: Advice Needed :)

Post by MrsB »

Where are you applying to? I assume one is the Ipswich School? They will offer him a place if he passes, regardless of what DC1 did. I don't know if it is a factor in deciding whether to offer a scholarship to DS2, but in reality they want to attract high achievers so they will probably disregard it. In any case, they know not all DCs are the same and what suits one DC doesn't always suit another.

I don't think they will ask you why you turned it down law time, and they definitely won't ask DC2, who is the one actually interviewed for any scholarship (I don't think they interview apart from for scholarships, do they?).