New year 7s - how's it going?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crazycrofter

New year 7s - how's it going?

Post by crazycrofter »

Just wondering how all the new year 7s are getting on?

Ds is at HGS and had a good day on the whole yesterday - met a boy from his class on the bus, enjoyed the food and the table tennis after school and even did one piece of homework last night (eventually!).

But I forgot to send him with a water bottle so he was very thirsty! And in the morning the other boy persuaded him the green bus went straight to their school so they ended up at Aston! I'm grateful to the kind driver for driving them back.

I'm glad this is a short week - getting out at 7 is going to be an ongoing challenge!
mum1115

Re: New year 7s - how's it going?

Post by mum1115 »

aw bless. In time to come that will be a 'remember when we did that with the bus' story

I'm waiting to find out how my DD has got on today as she didn't start until today at KEHS. The bus looked pretty full when she got on and we are only a few stops into the journey.

Hope everyone else's 1st day has been good.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Twin son 1 at comp is settling in brilliantly and has met new friends - so pleased as some of you will know we've had quite a journey in recent months to get to this stage.

Twin son 2 at QMGS isn't finding it as easy (yet it was DT1 we were so worried about) - I think he just needs to find a good friend. It doesn't help his brother is settling in so well. I keep telling him it's early days, so will see. Hopefully he may prefer it as they start lessons today.

Hope everybody else is settled :D
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Good luck mum1115. My daughter is at KEHS and loves it so I'm sure she'll settle in quickly.

Sorry to hear about twin 2 Ricky but it's very early days. Although dd settled quickly and made friends, friendship groups changed a lot over the year and even into year 8. I keep telling my son to be friendly to everyone and to expect it to take most of year 7 to find a definite firm group of friends.

It's very daunting for them. I don't think boys are really ready for the self organisation and independence that's expected of them either. Hope today is better!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Thanks Crazycrofter

He had a better day today and seemed happy to have been in lessons and then home on the bus in a record 10 mins :D
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Glad to see others are settling in so well. DS3 started at FW last week - I am glad they only have the 7 and year 12 children in for the first day. It really helped them to become comfortable without the intimidation of a full school.

So far he had left his bag on the bus once and has turned the write about a historical figure homework into a 4-day quest to select the most perfect human in history. He also insists to keep his arm out for the bus until it completely stops, which looks quite bizarre but I guess that is not too bad.

He loves the school and the fact that he has lots of different lessons. He seems to have taken a liking to the school cookies too! He has started to say that he can't find anyone at breaks and lunch and wanders around on his own. I hope that doesn't last too long as he seems to think everyone else has made friends except him :(

I suggested he uses the lunchtimes to join the clubs he is interested in so that he will both have something to do and will probably meet others he has things in common with. He couldn't find any that had started yet though.

I think it will be a long term...
UmSusu
Tracy41

Post by Tracy41 »

My daughter too started KEHS, she is absolutely loving it.

She made some friends on welcome evening and induction day, which she was so happy to see again.

:D
imranb

Post by imranb »

DS1 is loving CHB. Every single aspect of it - The bus journeys, the head-teacher, the teachers, the discipline, the independence, the friends, the seniors, the rugby, the canteen, the grounds, the home-work - Every single bit of it. He's taken to it like a duck in a pond. And it's only been a week. It's an amazing school. Hope and pray it remains like that for the next 7 years and the lessons learnt and skills developed would take them places.
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

Thanks Crazycrofter.
DD is loving it at KEHS, she's making friends has joined in some sports clubs and was looking forward to the other clubs lunch meeting today. The bus is frequently full. She had to stand nearly all the way home yesterday and her rucksack was sooo heavy - she's not quite getting to grips with emptying books she doesn't need into her locker.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Oh yes, I remember dd being the same - her first couple of bags broke under the weight of her books! She's better now, more ruthless!

With ds I'm making him take all his books out at home every night and only take in the subjects he's got each day.