Help!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2littleboys

Help!

Post by 2littleboys »

Good Morning

My Son sat the 11+ yesterday morning. He doesn't feel it went well as he ended up panicking and didn't finish any of the papers (I had warned him repeatedly that it would be tight on time) and said he had to guess lots of the remaining answers.

He is very downhearted as he says he "knows" he hasn't qualified. Lots of his friends told him they found the test easy(!) which I think hasn't helped :(

If there is anyone out there with any positive stories of having a child who missed out lots of answers and/or guessed lots of answers that then ended up qualifying I would be very happy to hear them. (I'm sure there must be some on here but I can't find them!)

Thanks.

2 little boys
Bee

Re: Help!

Post by Bee »

2littleboys wrote:Good Morning

My Son sat the 11+ yesterday morning. He doesn't feel it went well as he ended up panicking and didn't finish any of the papers (I had warned him repeatedly that it would be tight on time) and said he had to guess lots of the remaining answers.

He is very downhearted as he says he "knows" he hasn't qualified. Lots of his friends told him they found the test easy(!) which I think hasn't helped :(

If there is anyone out there with any positive stories of having a child who missed out lots of answers and/or guessed lots of answers that then ended up qualifying I would be very happy to hear them. (I'm sure there must be some on here but I can't find them!)

Thanks.

2 little boys
Not in your area but last year DD came out of one of the exams and said it was difficult & she missed some questions. Friend's DD came out and said it was very very easy.

Obviously I was very worried, they both qualified but DD had higher marks.

Please sit back and relax for now, hope this helps. :D
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Thank you Bee -I really appreciate your reply :)
Jay123

Post by Jay123 »

Hey,

I wouldnt be inclined to read too much into how a child thought it went good or bad. My DS did a mock not so long ago and said he had definitely messed it up as soon as he came out but the results were the best of all the mocks he had done. I would imagine a lot of the chilren guessed answers in both papers, especially when they got their 1 minute warning. My DS said all the kids were saying it was easy but he felt alot of them were just saying that because everyone else was.

Relax and what is meant to be will be.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi 2littleboys,

As you know, this is the first time that I'm going through the 11+ process so I don't have any stories to share. However, I would agree with Jay123 in that the children are saying that they found the test easy because everyone else is saying it.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

My dd also missed a LOT of questions. She had to guess the answers for an entire section and in the sections she could do, she ran out of time so didn't complete them. However, she is still saying the test was 'easy' so I wouldn't worry about what other people are saying.
Pinky1405

Post by Pinky1405 »

I feel your pain! My daughter said she completely messed up two sections in paper two and has been so upset. I up to this point I had thought she was in with a good chance!! It's been quite emotional!
Jay123

Post by Jay123 »

Pinky1405 wrote:I feel your pain! My daughter said she completely messed up two sections in paper two and has been so upset. I up to this point I had thought she was in with a good chance!! It's been quite emotional!

As I said above I think that is going to be a theme, I would imagine only a handful managed to finish both papers giving it their full attention. The majority would have rushed, guessed or missed questions out. Its a huge thing for a 10 year old to be part of so they should all be proud they participated and as long as they have taken something positive away from the experience then that will hold them in good stead going forward. :)
TojiGhand

Post by TojiGhand »

There seems to be a similar pattern here, DD found it is easy but left a few questions out, guessed a few and ran out of time in one...
But she enjoyed the cookie given to her so hey ho :mrgreen:
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

My ds - now in year 10 (first year to do CEM) didn't finish 3 or 4 sections when h did the test and qualified with a very high score (yes I know 121 is qualification but I'm trying to show that he didn't "scrape through ". My dd - year 8 was in tears after the test as she found it really hard and a group of children were saying how easy it was. She qualified with a nearly identical score to her brother and none of the children who had said it was easy / had loads of time qualified.

It is a hard test, it is time pressurised and children aren't the best judge of how it went. Huge congratulations to all your dc for doing their best yesterday.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now