Feedback from today's exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

wiltsmum

Feedback from today's exam

Post by wiltsmum »

I can't wait to hear the feedback from my DS.
Latetothegame

Re: Feedback from today's exam

Post by Latetothegame »

My ds found quite hard,especially comprehension. Some of my sons friends found easy so not a great sign. Tried to reassure him it doesn't matter,but feeling sorry for him as he really wants to go to Marling. Really want to others feedback too.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

DD3 found it as expected - a little bit easier than the mocks she sat. Having said that, for anyone whose DC found it hard - it is all relative - DD3 did not finish all the sections, especially in maths, but this is what she was expecting so it wasn't a shock that the timing was tight. In my experience (this is no3 for us) often the kids who found it really easy are either super bright, or have misunderstood the questions!

There is no point cross questioning your child either, you are likely to end up convinced they must have failed when they probably did fine.

Looking forward to my bottle of red tonight!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

DD said it was ok, as expected. She skipped a couple of questions that would take too long to work out. Now, it's just the waiting game. Not sure which is worse!

I'm looking forward to tea out (DD's choice for a treat), a visit to the circus, some wine / gin & some sleep tonight!

Have a good weekend all.

Octsmum
wiltsmum

Post by wiltsmum »

My DS also found it a little bit easier than the mock he sat last week but he was not as relaxed today as he was during the mock.
chococandy16

Post by chococandy16 »

Wishing all the DCs who sat the exams early this morning all the best!

We went through the process last year and I was very worried when my first DD said she found it alright.

All sort of thoughts raged through my head. I tried very hard to appear not worried.

We took her out and bought stuffs for her for the effort and waited patiently for the results in October 2016.

Thankfully, she passed and made Pates. So she was right it went well for her.

Parents tend to worry more than their children, all the hard work have been put in, the next step is the waiting game.

Best wishes
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

Our 2 DDs went through 11 plus last year and 3 years ago. The feedback after the test were so different. DD1 was quite confident whereas DD2 was almost in tears... It turned out that DD1 was qualified but given rankings and had to go through further waiting after the results were out in October whereas DD2 was in the top 150 for both SHS and Ribston. So you can never tell from the feedback of your child... try not to worry (easily said!!). I remember the next four weeks till the results were out felt like eternity!! :mrgreen:
kittymom

Post by kittymom »

DD didn't finish every section today - and despite fairly rigorous reminding from us, she forgot to fill in the blank questions (I told her she had a 1 in 5 chance of getting it right... "and what's that as a percentage please?")

However, 2 years ago, DS left out a whole section, misunderstanding the instructions. He sat there wasting precious time because he hadn't realised he was allowed to turn the page. On top of that, he went to the toilet in the second half. *facepalm
I was convinced he'd ruined his chances, but he passed and is now happily ensconced at Pates.

Feedback from DD - maths was hard, but verbal reasoning was ok. :)
ash14

Post by ash14 »

My DD sat at Stroud today and the feedback to me was it was not hard as she thought it would be:
Comparison on what we worked on she said the test was more like the cgp books rather then bond and letts. She found bond books the hardest and letts the easiest.

Test details removed by moderator. Please do not reveal any test details, numbers of questions, timings etc that could possibly give an advantage to late sitters.

Nothing on their she hasn't worked on or not expected but she is confident she has done well which makes me so nervous!
tiya

Post by tiya »

I have got an interesting take on Today's Exam ie comparing CEM papers in neighbouring regions.

We are in Worcestershire and are prepared to move to Birmingham or Gloucestershire if my twin boys get in . They are on the autistic spectrum and are very unhappy with their current school ( taunted for not being 'sporty enough and being academic ' ) so the push has come from them to get into a Grammar School.

They did Birmingham last Saturday and Gloucestershire today. The first thing they told me was that they felt a strange sense of familiarity when they got the paper. Probably because of last week but it did help to calm their nerves at the start of the paper.

Information re mocks removed by moderator. They also felt that CGP Practice Test Papers were harder ( 1,2 and 4 - 3 is very difficult ) than today's exams. Unfortunately we haven't done Bond or Letts so can't comment on these.

In terms of level of difficulty , they said that Birmingham was much more time pressured than Gloucestershire but degree of difficulty was the same .

They predicted Raw Scores for themselves at 78% and 80% ( DT1 ) and 73% and 75% ( DT2 ) .
Said that Comprehension was hard , Maths easy , VR easy , one section of NVR easy , other section of NVR was hard.

It will be interesting to see where this leads to in terms of getting ( or not getting ) a rank in October.

One piece of advice if I may , for Gloucestershire parents for next year's sitters. If there are any other CEM exams before Gloucestershire - it might be an idea to get DC to sit this to help with nerves. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now