Bucks 2018 entry - 1st October deadline

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
challenge2017

Bucks 2018 entry - 1st October deadline

Post by challenge2017 »

Hello All,

We live in near Ruislip / Harrow in West London where there are no Grammar schools which come in catchment. My DS has taken exam for Bucks on 14th Sep this year. Bucks council website says 1st October is last date to move into Bucks for considering inside post code as catchment. Anyone know if there is any chance if we move into Bucks after seeing the results on Oct 13th and before completing CAF on 31st Oct? what are the chances?

We do not want my DS to travel an hour every day so we are ready to move in Bucks county but only if he pass the exam. So, just struggling to understand if it is possible to move into Bucks after seeing the results which makes more sense?

Thanks for help / advise.
ToadMum

Re: Bucks 2018 entry - 1st October deadline

Post by ToadMum »

challenge2017 wrote:Hello All,

We live in near Ruislip / Harrow in West London where there are no Grammar schools which come in catchment. My DS has taken exam for Bucks on 14th Sep this year. Bucks council website says 1st October is last date to move into Bucks for considering inside post code as catchment. Anyone know if there is any chance if we move into Bucks after seeing the results on Oct 13th and before completing CAF on 31st Oct? what are the chances?

We do not want my DS to travel an hour every day so we are ready to move in Bucks county but only if he pass the exam. So, just struggling to understand if it is possible to move into Bucks after seeing the results which makes more sense?

Thanks for help / advise.
If 1st October is the deadline stated on the website, then it would seem likely that this is the date the LA or the grammar schools have set.

Did you not investigate the admissions criteria when you were registering your DS to sit the exam? Presumably the information is in the same general area of the Bucks website as the 'Register here' bit?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The date is the date. There won't be any leeway.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Your application won't be included in the first round on March 1st.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:Your application won't be included in the first round on March 1st.
I think it will be included, but using the current address?
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant - your old address will be used on March 1st.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry, yes, that's what I meant - your old address will be used on March 1st.
So, looking on the bright side, the OP's DS could stay at his current school with his friends until at least most of the way through the spring term? Or would a Bucks address be used for the second round, if they had moved just after results day anyway? In which case, presumably it would be better to have an IC address than one miles away from any grammar school catchment area?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are dates for later rounds for the new address to be used. However, some schools will be full on March 1st and no places might come up.
Choco

Post by Choco »

Isn't it a high risk strategy?

OP can wait for the results and then move in. The original address will be used for the I
Initial allocations on 1 March and after that point they can use the new address for appeals or waiting list, hoping to get a place.

There is no certainty in this approach and even less certainty than for everyone else applying IC. I guess if the score is exceptionally high and you are absolutely sure that they would leap frog almost everyone on the waiting list AND sufficient people would turn down a place, it would be very risky and not worth the move. You would need to have a back up plan school in the new location too in case it didn't come off.

This strategy could only work for a tiny tiny number of people per year and would seem to add lots of stress to the child and family.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The score wouldn't make a blind bit of difference for Bucks. It's solely distance that counts as long as the DC has qualified.