Singing in music test SW Herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bluesymum

Singing in music test SW Herts

Post by bluesymum »

My daughter qualified in music test round 1., She plans to sing in the round 2 music practicals.,could anyone advise as to what sort of songs would be appropriate to sing at the test. She wants to sing either Bruno Mars - you can count on me or Adele- someone like you, at the auditions. Would these type of contemporary songs be frowned upon by the examiners. Are they looking for a more traditional, hymn or classical singing from the children?
Or should she take this safe route and play her Grade 2 piano music?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.,
Dotty2468

Re: Singing in music test SW Herts

Post by Dotty2468 »

Hello

My daughter sang in the music exam and went on to gain a place at st clement Danes which was our no.1 choice.

She decided to sing a song from frozen (after much deliberation) and took the backing track on CD. This threw them a bit (even though you are invited to do so in your appointment letter) and they had to hunt for a CD player for around 10 minutes...... whilst my daughter was left standing In front of the judges.

It's wasn't the best situation for her, but thankfully her mark didn't reflect this.

I really don't know what they are looking for but I would encourage your child to sing something they are comfortable with... I really don't think it matters what song/style as long as it is well rehearsed and in their range. I hope that helps!

Good luck x
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

She should sing whatever she feels comfortable with and passionate about.

The choirs at my dd's school sing all sorts of songs including Billy Joel and the Beatles and I have attended some very enjoyable lectures at University open days on Abba and Queen songs.

My dds studied the Beatles and Queens songs in GCSE music so the concept that only a certain type of music is valued has now vanished thank goodness.

Good music is good music and I am sure whatever she sings will be appreciated. Let us know how she gets on. DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Dont know if this helps, but this is a list of music pieces edexcel have agreed the grade standard of. Singing pieces start at page 187. There's a whole range including pop songs (some Adele ones in there from memory).
If she has a singing teacher, ask what songs would best suit her voice.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/conte ... df#page187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bluesymum

Post by bluesymum »

Thankyou so much for all your wonderful feedback,,
I'm glad they allow the little ones creative freedom.,
bluesymum

Post by bluesymum »

My dd got only 18 out of 43. Are these scores quite hopeless then?
Hera

Post by Hera »

The audition should have been out of 45 not 43 which is slightly concerning if they have made a typo!
Sunshine08

Post by Sunshine08 »

Hi - my DC score was out of 43 too and also one of my friends, so I think it's correct.