Errors with SET Maths Paper - Sutton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
1stTimer11plus

Errors with SET Maths Paper - Sutton

Post by 1stTimer11plus »

Hi - I have just been forwarded an image off a letter signed Mr Julie Mottershead about some errors on the Maths paper with 3 questions that they are looking into for Sutton SET. Not sure if anyone else has seen this or if it is just a hoax on parents on the edge...

What seems bizarre to me is why it would not be sent to all registered and only some thus I am questioning its authenticity.

Cheers
Tinkers

Re: Errors with SET Maths Paper - Sutton

Post by Tinkers »

It might be an idea to contact the school.

If it's true then they can check their email addresses and make sure everyone gets a copy. If not they can reassure you and possibly send out an email to people to tell them it's false.
worriedmum2017

Post by worriedmum2017 »

It is not a hoax . Please call up the school and confirm.
It was brought to many of our attention that correction were provided to afternoon batches and few schools on morning sessions and not for all schools . On calling them they have acknowledged the same and if you write them email you will get a reply as well .
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I called Nonsuch, they confirmed it's not a hoax. The lady at Nonsuch said it's nothing to worry about and those who sat the morning test wont be disadvantaged in any way :?
Last edited by Golden75 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11plus2017

Post by 11plus2017 »

My son sat the morning session at Sutton Grammar but I have not received any email? :(
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

11plus2017 wrote:My son sat the morning session at Sutton Grammar but I have not received any email? :(
Sorry, my bad :oops:, I edited my message. The lady at Nonsuch said that anyone who has contacted them via email about mistakes in the test paper will have received an email response. I don't think they have emailed everyone who sat the test in the morning, only those who have contacted them about it.
11plus2017

Post by 11plus2017 »

Great thank you, panic over :)
1stTimer11plus

Post by 1stTimer11plus »

Thanks all - I have just emailed nonsuch - but out of interest did they state what the error was? now to hope the morning are really not disadvantaged! :?
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I asked Nonsuch to email me as well, just got this response:

We are aware of some small issues with the layout in the Maths SET paper. There were no errors in the content of the questions in the papers.

The issues were raised by only a very few number of children across all the schools. However when the issues were identified, it was mentioned to children in the later sessions across all the schools.

The Headmaster of Sutton Grammar School (a mathematician) is currently undertaking a statistical analysis of the marks of all the children who sat the test at all six venues, morning and afternoon, in order to generate each child's standardised score. He is confident that he will be able to detect any statistically significant difference in the error rate in those questions where the issue occurred between the morning and the afternoon sessions. If such a difference is found to exist, he will be able to adjust for it. As a consequence candidates will not be disadvantaged.

Hmmm, but my logic tells me that if there is a question with a layout problem wouldn't it be better to mark the tests on the remaining questions and disregard the problem question rather than trying to do a statistical analysis :?:
alwaysadad

Post by alwaysadad »

As if this process was not stressful enough!!

How many candidates in the morning sessions wasted time on these questions which the afternoon sessions did not have to contend with. In a paper that most have confirmed as time pressured I cannot see how any system applied will bring about a fair conclusion here, whether you use statistics or omit the questions, you have upset the status quo by advising the afternoon sessions. Such is life!