Beaconsfield for girls - transport from station to school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FirstCh

Beaconsfield for girls - transport from station to school

Post by FirstCh »

Hi,

Could anyone help me out , about the transportation facilities from Beaconsfield train station to Beconsfield school (BHS) to and fro.

My dd been offered a place last week at BHS and there is a good transportation from south Ruislip to Beconsfield by train .
but i am worried about her travel from Beconsfield train station to school on daily basis, as the school being away 0.9m from station.
Any details on this , please reply back. much appreciated.

thank you.
Tinkers

Re: Beaconsfield for girls - transport from station to schoo

Post by Tinkers »

Unless she has walking issues, 0.9 miles is not that far to walk.
It's a similar distance from Reading train station to kendrick school and I don't think there's a simple way on public transport. All the girls using the train walk and there's plenty of them.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

0.9 miles is 15-20 minutes' walk if your daughter is fit and able. Quite a pleasant way to get the blood flowing before school and to walk off some energy afterwards. My daughter walks 1.5 miles each way every day and has done for six years, despite my commute taking me past her school :twisted:. I do drop her off if it's pouring with rain or if she's going in with DofE backpacks or similar, but otherwise it's good exercise and a healthy way to start and end the day.
FirstCh

Post by FirstCh »

Thank you for the responses provided, it's just me more concerned ( may be) as being a parent and also dd is going to start Yr7.
also i am also thinking about the over all journey from home to south Ruislip + S.Ruislip to beconsfield + Beconsfield station to school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

FirstCh wrote:Thank you for the responses provided, it's just me more concerned ( may be) as being a parent and also dd is going to start Yr7.
also i am also thinking about the over all journey from home to south Ruislip + S.Ruislip to beconsfield + Beconsfield station to school.
Please don't take this badly, but have you only just applied for a place at the school and been given one straight away, or have you had some time to try out the journey and decide that perhaps the school isn't a good idea if you and your DD feel that a walk of less than a mile is too much for her? Has she really never had to do a fifteen minute walk on a regular basis? If not, now would be a good time to get her used to what is really a fairly gentle amount of exercise for a child of her age :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

FirstCh wrote:Thank you for the responses provided, it's just me more concerned ( may be) as being a parent and also dd is going to start Yr7.
I think you're overly concerned, unless your daughter has a lengthy journey from home to the station? Presumably you considered this when you applied? After all, your daughter is likely to do the journey for seven years. My advice would be to start as you mean to go on - walking. Even if there is a bus service at the Beaconsfield end, you are at the mercy of delayed trains leading to a missed connection or vice versa, buses stuck in traffic and bus cancellations in poor weather. With all that going on, a 15 minute walk is by far the better option, the cheaper option, the healthier option and when it comes to journey time, the predictable option. Just get some decent shoes, waterproof coat and an umbrella! Mind you, seeing lots of kids walking to the schools near me, you'd think wet weather gear hadn't been invented yet.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

ToadMum wrote:If not, now would be a good time to get her used to what is really a fairly gentle amount of exercise for a child of her age :) .
I was once told that as a general guide to children's fitness, a child should be capable of walking a distance in miles that matched their age in years. i.e. a five year old should be physically capable and fit enough to walk five miles in one go, a ten year old ten miles, etc. I'm not suggesting that an eleven year old should cope with an eleven mile walk to school, but that as a one-off, they ought to be able to cope with that distance. I hope there's an upper limit because I'm not going to walk forty-mumble miles this weekend to prove the point...

So asking a secondary school age child to walk one, two or even three miles to school every day is perfectly reasonable if they are in good health and without impairment. I accept that for some in rural areas, it isn't practical on safe routes but for the majority in urban areas it's absolutely reasonable.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 managed an age-appropriate hike one day at the age of three and three-quarters, the day we learnt just how unreliable the various 'graded walk' signposts were in the woods a few miles away :shock: .

Seriously, just under a mile is nothing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

You aren't the first parent (and won't be the last) to look at their little year 7 and think they are far too young for that sort of travel.

For a very small minority of children and for unreasonably long journeys then yes, they possibly are, but most year 7s doing reasonable journeys (which certainly the walk element of this is, I can't comment on the train section without looking it up) are absolutely fine. And so will you as a parent.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It is straight along the main road, and really isn't far. Past Costa if an emergency coffee is needed! There are buses but it's only 2 stops. I think you would spend longer waiting for the bus than walking. I would be more concerned by the overall length of the journey & by the fact that your daughter won't have any local friends. Is the school she is currently attending poor?
scary mum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now