12 plus To write on the test booklet or not????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
12plus mum

12 plus To write on the test booklet or not????

Post by 12plus mum »

Hi just wondered if anyone could give me a bit of information, my child is due to sit the 12plus in two weeks and i am a little concerned about him not being able to write on the test booklet as all workings out need to be done on a seperate piece of paper. (as the papers are reused)

I did speak to county hall and they did say that a child would not be marked down if this happens, but i am still a little concerned.

Can anybody who has been through the buckinghamshire 12 plus advise me, as i feel working out on a seperate sheet will slow my child down and stress him out.

Did your child write on the test booklet??? was it ok??

Will be glad to hear from you
Thanks.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi 12plus mum

As you say, the reason for this is that the papers may be reused.

I have no idea if my son or his compatriots wrote on the test paper, and I didn't ask any of them. I was only interested in their eventual pass marks, and not the convenience of Bucks Admissions!

If your son is used to using the test paper for working out certain questions such as codes, then I can see no justifiable reason why he should not use the 12+ paper in the same way.
12plus mum wrote:I did speak to county hall and they did say that a child would not be marked down if this happens

I should hope not!! :roll:

The question and answer papers "part company" at the end of the test and there is no way that it could be recorded that an individual child had written on their test paper. The papers are then also electronically marked in the same way as the 11-plus, which would not allow for a child to be marked down for artificial reasons.

The cynic in me really wonders if this "rule" is merely designed to disconcert 12-plus applicants, and thus reduce the numbers passing. I can see no other reason for it.

I wish your son the very best of luck.

Sally-Anne

P.S. I have moved this thread to Bucks. Edit - and deleted the duplicate thread which I have only just noticed! :D
kiki4

Post by kiki4 »

I am currently tutoring students for the 12 plus and have previously tutored a 13 plus student. Students are reminded at the beginning of the exam that writing on the paper is not allowed. The information sent out to students states that rough paper is available and no marks should be made on the question paper.

I know it sounds unfair compared with the 11 plus but I make sure my students have practised by these rules. I initially allow the students to practice on the question paper but once they are confident with the format and the multiple choice sheet we make it a rule to only use scrap paper. It only takes a short time to master this - I have had to teach myself to do it also so that I can help them find the best method!

I also teach them to keep a record in a designated corner of their working out sheet of any questions they want to go back to and check, so that no marks are made on the question paper.

I do agree it would be unfair to penalise a child who has made a mark but it would also be unfair to make a rule which some children stick to and others do not. If you tell your son it is okay to mark the paper this could be seen to disadvantage my students if you get my drift.

I would suggest you practise using the rough paper so that he gets into a routine. If he is reprimanded by an invigilator during the exam he may well lose his confidence.

Best of luck, I know it is a completely new thing to learn but if I can master it at my ripe old age I am sure your son will quickly learn.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The main thing to be aware of is that the answer sheet in 12+ is different - preparation pack is useless but do make sure you prepare for the difference.
12plus mum

Post by 12plus mum »

Guest55 thanks for your advise,

how does the answer paper differ from the 11+ answer paper??

Do you mean the questions that require two answers? (ABC XYZ)
or are there other differences? the pack sent from county only gives you 10 practice question!!!

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In the 11+ the options on the answer sheet are the answers

e.g. Find the letter that makes two words

PLAN ( ) RAIN

11+ options: B S T D E shown on answer sheet to mark against correct letter

12+ options: A) B B) S C) T D) D E) E

and you mark A, B, C, D or E on the answer sheet - in my opinion this is an extra level of decoding -
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Hi 12+Mum

If you have not noticed it/do not have it in the 12+ pack, PM me and I can scan it and email it to you.

Ambridge aka 12+elf x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I must admit I thought it was just the pack and did not realise the whole test would be like that!

However my child was successful so it must have been OK -
12plus mum

Post by 12plus mum »

Yes thank you.

yes the answers are marked as ABCD ect and not the actual answer,

Thanks for your message.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear 12 plus mum

Do tend to agree with Kiki4.

I would get used to separate workings sheet before he enters the exam. Telling him that it does not matter because County said its OK, will not help him if the invigilator 'tells him off' he may very well go into panic mode.

The invigilator will have been told that ALL workings MUST be on the separate sheet, they will 'put right' any child who does not keep to the rules. If he continues, he will be told again.

You still have time to rectify the matter.

Good Luck

Patricia
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now