Sport in grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Pinky1405

Sport in grammar schools

Post by Pinky1405 »

Can I ask those who already have children in GS. I have been looking at Borlase and Wycombe High. I have seen both schools twice and live in catchment. Going by last years catchment area we would have got into either.

My question is how does the sport work in the schools. When I've visited I have been very impressed with the selection and variety of the sports played but was surprised when I was told recently that "Borlase doesn't have many netball teams as they focus on hockey and rowing so your daughter needs to be really good to get in the team". This comment has thrown me. Netball is her sport (though she plays many others), she plays for the A team in a Netball club but isn't brilliant! I would want her to be able to play for the school. Looking at WH they have A,B,C teams but Borlase maybe only has one?

Can anyone shed any light? I had made up my mind that Borlase pipped WH due to being closer but now think maybe an all girls school may be better!! She loves sport but if she can't get in a team I'm not sure the school will be for her, thank you
Guest55

Re: Sport in grammar schools

Post by Guest55 »

In a mixed school you only have half the year group to compete against for team places!
Pinky1405

Post by Pinky1405 »

Good point!!!...... but if only one netball team thats a 10 person squad! Hoping someone who has a child at either school can shed light on what actually is the position.
justkeepswimming

Post by justkeepswimming »

DD has just started in year 7 at swbgs and plays netball too. From what she's told me it sounds as though there are two competitive teams ('a' and 'b' at U12) and both play in the same league this year so a good standard for all this playing.
Pinky1405

Post by Pinky1405 »

Thank you! Is she a brilliant netballer? Are her year group roughly 50/50 boys and girls?
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

My dd is a netball player and is in year 8 at SWBGS.

SWBGS currently has 13 netball teams (just looked it up).

2 x U18
2 x U16
2 x U15
2 x U14
2 x U13
3 x U12

Who play in leagues. So essentially the same number aWHS. A lot of the girls (probably the majority) in the teams play club netball too - mainly Marlow Kites.

The Head of Sport is a netball player. Last summer hols there was a senior netball/ rugby tour to Hong Kong and Australia- I think 20+ girls attended.

Netball is a winter sport and trains twice a week (plus the games rotation) with a before school fitness session.

If you have any other questions about sports at SWBGS I'm happy to answer them.

Essentially if you're thinking about team selection it's 192 girls v approx 60. I know some excellent club players who aren't selected for WHS - the feelings being that WHS selects on height not ability but I also know some great players who haven't been selected at SWBGS- I guess it all depends who else is at the trials.

ETA they don't row till year 9.
justkeepswimming

Post by justkeepswimming »

Thanks Kittymum, useful to know! To answer your questions Pinky1405 - no, certainly not brilliant! And yes, roughly 50-50 I think. DD thought about 30 girls went to the netball try outs so I guess most if not all of them will get a chance to play at some point
Pinky1405

Post by Pinky1405 »

Thank you so much!!! Absolutely what I was looking for! It's tricky at open days.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Re teams having watched my children progress through SWBGS playing in a club team - whether that's Marlow Kites netball, Marlow Hockey, Marlow FC (girls football is quite big and successful) etc will only benefit your dd when she goes to secondary school (wherever that is) - a large % of the top teams are made up of people who play club, regional, county sports so if selection is important to her the more experienced she is the better. That said SWBGS is very inclusive with its sports but they (as will all schools) pick teams to win. Does your dd currently play for a club?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I would also add that, whilst I commend you for considering things beyond just the academic, in the same way that mainly the 11+ assesses your child against the cohort who also apply (in Bucks, this is most of the cohort!), ditto, sports representation in school teams does depend on the cohort who apply.

Anyone can tell you that in their DC's year, 30 tried out for a space in one of two teams, which looks like good odds - the year your DD tries, those 30 may all be of national standard - unlikely, but the odds for her would go down significantly - or the 30 could never have played before, hence her odds would improve. The reality is, you cannot choose a school on the basis of whether she would make the team - if they have a team that is a start, but if she is serious about her sport, she will also understand that the best players should be chosen and, if she is not one of these, work harder to improve. If she has the right attitude that will always help!