Little time to prepare or not!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MCLC

Little time to prepare or not!

Post by MCLC »

So the SET results are due out on Tuesday with the second round being on Saturday. It really doesn't leave much time to prepare. Someone mentioned that results were out a day early last year. Is there a chance we could get them tomorrow?
Mittleme

Re: Little time to prepare or not!

Post by Mittleme »

but who says 2nd round is Saturday ? or am I missing something?
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

http://www.nonsuchschool.org/298/nwet-second-stage-faqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

I doubt very much that we will get the results tomorrow, first they have to deal with the whole maths paper fiasco.

My DD is convinced she wont pass the SET. She simply can't stand the sight of any 11+ material at the moment. I hope she will get her fighting spirit back if she passes the SET.
1stTimer11plus

Post by 1stTimer11plus »

Golden75 wrote:I doubt very much that we will get the results tomorrow, first they have to deal with the whole maths paper fiasco.

My DD is convinced she wont pass the SET. She simply can't stand the sight of any 11+ material at the moment. I hope she will get her fighting spirit back if she passes the SET.
My daughter too - she seems very demoralised which is heartbreaking. She has done so well in all the mock tests, but for some reason this one has got her down!
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

MCLC wrote:It really doesn't leave much time to prepare.
I saw this message on facebook this morning, not sure if it will help with your prep. for second stage but just in case (I'm not in your area so not familiar with your local exam):

"Practice makes perfect! I noticed some of your requests for Stage 2 practice material and will try to upload some past papers to my Facebook page over the weekend. Due to other responsibilities, I won't be marking this year's SGS/ Wilson's Stage 2 test, but my experience of having been a marker since 2008 has given me a useful insight into the teaching of it. The papers I will upload have been used to tutor students who have successfully gained entry to the Sutton and Kingston grammar Schools. They are the actual 2015 and 2016 Stage 2 tests."

"Hi; I will post them by Saturday morning on my teaching page:"

FB link removed by moderator / (Hope it's OK to post this link but if not please remove and advise the best way for people to find out how to access these practice papers).
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

loopylala wrote:The papers I will upload have been used to tutor students who have successfully gained entry to the Sutton and Kingston grammar Schools. They are the actual 2015 and 2016 Stage 2 tests."

"Hi; I will post them by Saturday morning on my teaching page:"
I didn't think past papers for the Sutton tests were available?

These would be useful to see of course, but not much good if posted on Saturday morning as the 2nd stage test is on the same day...
phantomguzzler

Post by phantomguzzler »

Is this poster serious, they have the actual 2015/2016 stage 2 tests! This surely needs to be reported to the schools as a serious breach. Markers surely cannot take copies of past papers to help them tutor their students, or am I just being naive and this happens. I thought we were all on an equal playing field until just now. Can the moderators please forward this to Sutton/Wilsons , it is one of their current invigilators and a tutor in the area.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

This is really interesting. I've been frustrated that the Sutton schools don't give out past papers as it makes it very difficult to help your child prepare for the exams - we really didn't have a clue what would be in the exams when my son sat them last year. So I welcome the idea of releasing past papers or sample papers.

However, I don't like them being released 'unofficially' like this. I have no reason to assume that this person is anything other than she says she is, and if I were able to get hold of the papers I could ask my son whether he recognised last years so could verify it as genuine. It's not fair, though, if some people stumble upon the papers like this when most people won't - the schools should make them available to all parents as a matter of course.

It's very wrong that this person, who isn't invigilating this year because of 'other commitments', has decided to release the papers like this.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Golden75 wrote: not much good if posted on Saturday morning as the 2nd stage test is on the same day...
I think it they were referring to this Saturday just gone. I haven't checked them out as they are not relevant to me TBH.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now