11+ places allocation question

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11+RiponGrammar

11+ places allocation question

Post by 11+RiponGrammar »

So how I see it is that they standardise the scores and then put them in order form the highest to the lowest.
The cut off is specified (in Ripon at approximately 28% of the cohort, not just those taking the exam, but the whole year group). How do you find out this number? How many Year 6's in Ripon district cohort? Told its a big year

Then who gets places?
#1 Top mark guaranteed, in area, regardless of siblings or anything else
#3...
down to last few spaces that 20 kids could've scored the same for.

So then they start with the siblings, distance from school, etc, is that right?
So kids that had the score, could be be offered and could not!
So it only comes into affect once they are at the last few places?

Results in a few weeks, hope it comes quickly!
hermanmunster

Re: 11+ places allocation question

Post by hermanmunster »

Can't find the policy at the mo!

From memory they don't take score into account , reaching the cutoff is all that is required and then distance comes into play

then :

Children in care
Siblings of children living in the school’s catchment area
Children living in catchment
Siblings of children living outside of catchment
All others

The Ripon catchment is quite large and usually the top 3 of these will fill most of the places

ETA: found the overall policy which applies to Ripon Grammar https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/sites/def ... _18_19.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

I posted the birth numbers about 10 days ago, 2005 & 2007 are both big birth years. The current year six is the biggest cohort in our school. I haven't noticed an uplift in places at our local grammar to cope so hope other schools are increasing their places.
11+RiponGrammar

WOW so the top scorer could live the furthest away and not get in! I am shocked!
That seems crazy! Is that right? WOW

I was told this is a big year 6 but just trying to find out numbers
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

It's the same in Bucks, Ripongrammar.

Every "selective" school has different ways to select their pupils.

They usually want reasonably capable/academically minded children, but the superselectives tend to go for score-based (especially if they don't mind having a very wide cachement ie pupils travelling in from a long way away). They are trading the "brightest"/best at whatever test, against having nearby children who also happen to be fairly brainy, without needing to be next year's Child Genius finalist.

Would you really want a child who aced the test but had a 100 mile commute to get in, at the expense of your child who lived 5 miles from school?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

11+RiponGrammar wrote:WOW so the top scorer could live the furthest away and not get in! I am shocked!

I think you will struggle to find the numbers of year 6 children who live in the catchment area - some may not go to school in the area etc so it won't be the same as the number in the local schools.

If the top scorer lives in catchment then they have a very good chance of getting in. Ermysteds used to give places to the in catchment children if they passed and then the out of catchment based on score - however this meant that some were travelling a very long way to school. It was changed about 10 years ago to distance being the oversubscription criteria.

There aren't many "super-selectives" around - mainly south east and west midlands.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:
11+RiponGrammar wrote:WOW so the top scorer could live the furthest away and not get in! I am shocked!

I think you will struggle to find the numbers of year 6 children who live in the catchment area - some may not go to school in the area etc so it won't be the same as the number in the local schools.

If the top scorer lives in catchment then they have a very good chance of getting in. Ermysteds used to give places to the in catchment children if they passed and then the out of catchment based on score - however this meant that some were travelling a very long way to school. It was changed about 10 years ago to distance being the oversubscription criteria.

There aren't many "super-selectives" around - mainly south east and west midlands.
And the 100-mile daily round trip isn't much of an exaggeration when it comes to some DC travelling from the further reaches of Metropolitan Essex to CRGS and the County High School in Colchester. Colchester is quite a nice place, but some folk are content for the appreciation of its charms to be entirely vicarious and for some reason they cannot possibly envisage actually living anywhere near. O,r even, nearer.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11+RiponGrammar

Ok so you are all right, I called the admissions team and asked them.
So once they have their suitable (passed) kids, then they can all apply and it becomes an equal playing field, they have passed that is all that matters.

So then it goes on priorities, with distance being the deciding factor in each priority

Priority
1. looked after children
2. social and medical reasons for admission
3. in catchment, with siblings first and then without siblings
4. out of catchment

So if a kid gets 100% has no sibling at the school and happens to be in catchment but on the edge of it, they could potentially not be offered a place due to distance (assuming the places had been filled by kids above them in priority, and like wise if a kid scraps through yet has a sibling and lives next door to the school, they are guaranteed a place.

I took it for granted that top mark got in first etc, but I was wrong, the 11+ admission baffles me more than the exams themselves! :lol:
11+RiponGrammar

So next question is how is distance measured? as the crow flies or google maps :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

11+RiponGrammar wrote:So next question is how is distance measured? as the crow flies or google maps :lol:
The school admissions (though it might be the LA info) should say exactly how distance is measured, but it's usually as the crow flies.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now