Herschel Grammar- Bedfont area car/ taxi share/ travel issue

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vaibhav_jp

Herschel Grammar- Bedfont area car/ taxi share/ travel issue

Post by vaibhav_jp »

Hi all,

This is my first post, so please do accept my apology for any mistakes.

My daughter has secured a place at Herschel Grammar school, but before I accept the offer I wanted to inquire, if anyone else is sending their kid from Bedfont area to Herschel Grammar school.

I am in need of someone who can either do a taxi / car share with my daughter, so the cost gets splitted in half.

Is there any otherway ( using public transport ) which should not take more than an hour and a quarter ?

Any reply will be much appriciated.

Regards,
Tinkers

Re: Herschel Grammar- Bedfont area car/ taxi share/ travel i

Post by Tinkers »

Here's a few things you should think about when looking at car shares. (It's a standard list that has been posted a few times on the forum).
Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?
Public transport is usually the best option if available. It's more flexible and usually cheaper.
Have you looked at google maps or similar to see what different transport options are? I have found it quite useful.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

There are various options using public transport but journey time to school is typically 90 minutes and consists of a walk, two buses, a train, another bus and a short walk. If your daughter is happy walking further, you can cut that down to a walk, two buses, a train and a 30 minute walk. The journey home can be slightly quicker because of better connections, but it's still 75 minutes if everything connects as it should. And that's assuming you live fairly near the right bus stop in Bedfont.

What timescales are we talking for her starting there? Can you move closer to the school? To me, the journey is not a practical one for up to seven years of schooling.
Last edited by anotherdad on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Crikey, I looked on Google maps and it's only about 7 miles - she'd be quicker walking!

OP, if you can't find a shorter route on public transport and you don't want to drive her every day, you may need to consider relocating. Good luck.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Out of interest I googled it myself. :shock:

I can't believe it's so difficult by public transport to travel such a short distance in that sort of area.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No, it isn't far. I guess Heathrow, the M4 & the M25 get in the way!
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now