now we wait for the results...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11+RiponGrammar

now we wait for the results...

Post by 11+RiponGrammar »

Ok so the exams are over and now the wait for the results...
3 weeks and counting..
Who's counting with me?
mum-of-two

Re: now we wait for the results...

Post by mum-of-two »

In Yorkshire forum you are pretty much talking to yourself....lol.

I'm in Halifax and in my area we have Heckmondwike (taken last week I think) and Crossley/North Halifax but those exams are not until the 30th so still building up to the exams there.

Hope your DC thought it went well
mum-of-two
11+RiponGrammar

I know Ripon are a secretive bunch LOL!

Gosh thought they were all over, and we were all waiting, well good luck.
Good news, they weren't half as scary for the kids once they got there.
All kids came out happy, if some showed nerves going in and week 2, all kids ok going in and out.

Obviously you feel crap as a parent for putting them in for it, no kid at 10 should be told they are unsuitable (fail) it seems so cruel and you wouldn't put your kids through this if you weren't in catchment. Kids in the next village (out of catchment) had a lovely summer without the stress of the dreaded 11+.

Obviously it is a great opportunity and in that respect we are lucky to be in catchment to have a chance, but that is if you are suitable and get a place.

Going potty with wait, I guess you guys won't find out till March at least we know in 3 weeks if we are suitable or not

Good luck and Ripon grammar catchment parents say hi, you don't have to identify yourself, but at least know we are not alone.

Good luck all
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Actually, you'd be surprised at how many out of catchment pupils sit the test, my dd being one of them - 9/10 years ago now. Us horrible out of catchment parents make our children sit the exam because it is one of the best schools in Yorkshire and the Uk.

Hope you get the result you want and the interminable wait flies for you; I remember it well!
11+RiponGrammar

Thanks Snowdrops, we're getting closer, only 17 days till they are posted out second class.

Hmm wonder when we'll actually get them then, says posted out on Fri 13th second class, so I guess it could be upto Tuesday 17th? or they be posted to receive on fir 13th, who knows.. will just have to wait :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

re results, well there was always the time the post office went on strike (gosh must be 10 years ago now :shock: ).

LEA made seriously speedy plans for results to be given out at school and for parents of kids at indie schools or OOC to be able to pick them up from the LEA...

Picture a queue of anxious parents being given large envelopes, trying to look calm and nonchalantly wandering off to look for somewhere to open it .... :oops:
11+RiponGrammar

hermanmunster wrote:re results, well there was always the time the post office went on strike (gosh must be 10 years ago now :shock: ).

LEA made seriously speedy plans for results to be given out at school and for parents of kids at indie schools or OOC to be able to pick them up from the LEA...

Picture a queue of anxious parents being given large envelopes, trying to look calm and nonchalantly wandering off to look for somewhere to open it .... :oops:
Oh gosh :shock: lets hope we don't have a repeat of that.. :lol: :lol:
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Fingers crossed for you Ripon. I'm just a lurker this year, my DS sits next year ...
mum-of-two
11+RiponGrammar

mum-of-two wrote:Fingers crossed for you Ripon. I'm just a lurker this year, my DS sits next year ...
Thanks mum-of-two, its a crazy journey.

Best advice so far (we're still learning) is you have to practise (we did from Easter) practise all the different types of questions, once you've done that then practise speed with each type of question, do a couple of mocks and do the familiarisation day with marked papers that a local company does, it really helped with nerves and prepared kids for the actual exams.

Go and look round the other schools, Outwood Academy is fabulous and friendly and a great school and suits some kids better than the very academic Grammar, the open days say it all.

If you are in catchment you have a really good chance approximately 1 in 3 will get a place but they have to pass of course. I heard that over 70% in the mocks should be a good enough to pass (no idea if this is correct), obviously the higher the better.

The exams weren't have as scary as anticipated, there were kids who were terrified and in tears going in the first week, but they came out happy and all went in and out the second week happy, so not as

I have no idea if we have passed or not but I feel we did our job as parents to prepare the kids and the kids did their best, so what will be, will be :)

Bring on the gin :lol:
mum-of-two

Post by mum-of-two »

Thanks RiponGrammar

We have DS signed up for group tutoring starting in October and he has been doing VR & Maths 10 minute tests this last academic year.

The two Grammars in my local authority dont have catchments so its highest scores win (with PP and looked after children jumping to the top of the list). Therefore we have kids taking the test from far and wide (and I only live a mile away from our preferred grammar)!

The tutor does an assessment in Dec so we'll have a good idea if he has the mental capacity for the 11plus which means we'll have time to work on Plan B (whatever that might be). I have confidence in him and he's very bright (although hates writing)!

Time will tell - a year from now and it will all be over (well for DS). It'll then be a year off before starting again with DD!!
mum-of-two
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now