TWGGS or Weald?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NoBigDeal1

TWGGS or Weald?

Post by NoBigDeal1 »

What would you choose?? If lucky enough to pass. Journey to both about the same. Anyone have any thoughts?
twellsmum

Re: TWGGS or Weald?

Post by twellsmum »

WOuld have thought this totally depends on your child, how does she feel about them? Not many people I would have thought had daughters at both and then if they do, their daughters might be quite different so would be difficult to balance one against another. If your daughter is quite arty, then perhaps veer more towards WoK; more academic then TWGGS but both schools cater equally well for arty/academic. Just saying this based on my own experience of listening to parents who have daughters at both but I have no personal experience of WoK. Both very good schools and your daughter is very lucky to have such a choice :)
Npowell999

Post by Npowell999 »

WOK is amazing, great teaching staff and a great ethos. Great pastoral care I wish I had chosen Weald over TWGGS.
mystery

Post by mystery »

How do you know it is so stunning if your child is not there? Twggs results are quite a bit better than wok and better than tgs in some respects despite not being "superselective".
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

I would be grateful for any opinions on TWGGS and Weald. DD loves TWGGS, as we did on the Open evening, but I have heard from a friend that she has not been overly impressed with some of the teaching. We may not get the choice as we are a distance away and would be trying for a Governor place, but all opinions welcomed, so we can choose our order on the CAF sensibly!!
Mumof4Kent

Post by Mumof4Kent »

I have two elder daughter both TWGGs. Both scored well in the 11+. This was on the old scoring system, but they both scored high enough to get to TGS if they'd have wanted to. We chose TWGGs due to distance from our house and that they could walk there. I don't have experience of WoK so cannot comment on that.

TWGGS - a big plus - academic is excellent. This doesn't mean the girls don't have to work - they do and they won't get the results that they are capable of unless they do. However, their class mates definitely sweep them along. With any grammar school, if your daughter is a "just pass" on the 11+ it may be a little challenging to keep up with the speed of the lessons and how quickly they move on.

Teaching can be a little patchy in a few places. This will vary from year to year and is very dependent on the teachers themselves. If the teachers continually do badly, they don't seem to stick around!

I have never had any problems with pastoral care. Others say that TWGGs is poor, but to the extent my girls had any problems that we needed to raise with school they were dealt with swiftly and well.

There are opportunities to get involved in broader pursuits than academic. Music is particularly good. I think I would say that there is not enough sport which is a shame.

The facilities in some cases look a little dated (a bit like when I was at school) but don't let that put you off.

I think the head teacher is excellent and leads a tight ship.

At the upper end of the school, applications for universities are managed well, but if you want to go for a difficult subject or for Oxbridge, I think the support could be better. I say this from experience as I have one daughter who is now studying Medicine and a second who has just applied for Cambridge.

Let me know if I can help further!
Npowell999

Post by Npowell999 »

I have lots of friends who sent their children there and for the welcoming aspect it was wonderful a friend moved her daughter from TWGGS to WOK due to bullying.

TWGGS does get results though and they do push children which is really good too
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

so we can choose our order on the CAF sensibly
You should always put your choices in the genuine order in which you prefer them - the schools don't know where you put them. Of course, if you are so far away that you stand no chance of a place, that is a wasted choice, but if you aren't eligible for your first choice, your second becomes your first choice & is assessed according to their entry criteria, and so on down the list.
scary mum
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

We've not had any complaints about pastoral care either. They don't sell themselves on pastoral care or SEN but maybe they don't need to as they are very popular anyway. It's not to say that they don't manage issues when they arise.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now