What exams a child from 'West Drayton (UB7) can sit for?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nag

What exams a child from 'West Drayton (UB7) can sit for?

Post by Nag »

Dear Friends,
I am new to this forum and also to the Grammar school concept. My daughter is preparing for Grammar school test in Sept 2018. I am from West Drayton area and need your tips on the below please.

1) What schools she can sit for exam?
2) What is the exam type?
3) What is the maximum marks and cut off marks?
4) Any catchment area?

For example, is my daughter sit for the Sutton, Tiffins and Buckinghamshire schools. Is there any possibility that she can get into these Grammar schools?

Please help me with some suggestions on how to prepare and what schools she can sit for please. Appreciate your help please.
Tinkers

Re: What exams a child from 'West Drayton (UB7) can sit for?

Post by Tinkers »

For the Bucks school it's best to start here and see how far schools have allocated places.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For Tiffin girls, they have a catchment, best to look here.
http://www.tiffingirls.kingston.sch.uk/ ... ear-7.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In theory your DD can sit tests anywhere, but it's best to look at individual school admissions policies to see what type of exam they use, whether your DD stands any chance of a place and, most importantly, can she actually get to school should she get a place.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

West Drayton to Slough is an easy train journey. Do any of the Slough schools offer OOC places and also find themselves located anywhere near the station?

The same entrance exam would also give you access to the Gloucestershire grammar schools (Stroud High School is near the station in Stroud and the town is quite nice) and the 30 open places at Chelmsford County High School for Girls. Chelmsford city centre has been improved no end over the past couple of years, lots of places for secondary aged DC to hang out and chill before making for home at the end of the day.

I haven't had the pleasure of Slough town centre, recently, I'm afraid, so can't comment on its charms.

There is also HBS, which of course has no catchment area at all, but involves a separate entrance exam.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Herschel have ooc places. I can't comment on Slough town centre though.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Afternoon Nag,

You could look at the Slough Grammar school consortium: https://www.sloughconsortium.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

Although we are waiting for the link for this year's results (with chewed finger nails in my case lol), once we have had it then they will show what you need to do for entry in sept 2019.

My dd already attends St Bernards Grammar, she has a child's photo oyster card and catches the number 81 from the bus station.

The card cost me about 15 pounds and I know I had to put some money on there as well in case she catches the tube at some point. Otherwise the bus is practically free. The pass is an 11-15 year old, so will last her quite a long time.

It is a popular bus with both the Upton and St Bernard children. Your dd would still have to catch the train from West Drayton so you would have to see how frequent they are.
Or check the school links through the above website for their transport policies as well as admissions/ catchment criteria.

Good luck.
Last edited by hel_tcw on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hel_tcw

Post by hel_tcw »

Forgot to say that they sit the CEM exam in Slough, with registration in May and sitting the test in early September (on a saturday).
Nag

Post by Nag »

Thank you for suggestions
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now