Newstead Wood test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bondgirl

Newstead Wood test

Post by bondgirl »

Third and final test for DD today. She came out happy as did most girls from what I saw which was lovely to see. I think raw scores must have to be very high to get in. Any other feedback (without revealing any content of course, as there will be late sitters)? DD said it was all as expected and felt it had gone well - which I know is no indicator of how she has actually done :?

So relieved it is all over :D
PettswoodFiona

Re: Newstead Wood test

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Congratulations to your DD bondgirl on all her hardwork. This was us two years ago. All the girls came out happy and smiling. DD said it was the test she most enjoyed. I think it is the test that is really hard to tell at the end how well has been done as everyone seems to come out of it feeling fairly confident. Hope it is good news next month and if you have any questions about the school then do ask.

Just in case it makes any difference and is relevant to your choice of school:
I know some of the latest Y7s are disappointed that Latin isn't on the timetable for them, DD was the last year to get this, but it was the one lesson that DD felt wasn't taught well and it is still available as a twilight option. All the other lessons she has really enjoyed. DD decided not to take up Latin as a twilight but is really enjoying the Mandarin.
Mintan

Post by Mintan »

One relieved family here too!
Will try our level best to not think about the next 2 weeks
Well done to all kids and parents who went along on this journey!
bexbrom

Post by bexbrom »

What a relief today is over!
Well done to everyones daughter who has tried their best. My DD came out very happy so now not going to think about it for the next few weeks.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Thanks PWF for your kind words and help. I would be extremely surprised if DD qualifies for NW as I know how competitive it is, but she gave it her best shot so I'm very proud of her whatever the outcome. DD1 sat NW 7 years ago and thought it had gone well but didn't get in so I know how unreliable DC's post-test feelings are :?

Third and final time for me Mintan. The 11+ books will be on their way to a new home very soon!
bexbrom

Post by bexbrom »

not sure how this forum works - I have been an avid silent reader for the last year.
We are now waiting on kent , bexley and newstead results.
Thanks petts wood fiona for your regular helpful remarks.
Looking forward to the waiting being over and then decision time !
hen45

Post by hen45 »

Does anyone know the mark required for 2017 entry in the end? Is it something the school ever publicise?
Grey824

Post by Grey824 »

Hi. I just wanted to say well done to all of the girls for their hard work. It was lovely to see so many happy girls today and I wish all of them the very best. I was relieved to find my DD smiling when I collected her. She had a last minute confidence crisis on Wednesday and begged me to revise with her yesterday (which I completely banned) :lol: I think the standard will be high this year and whatever the result for us, I am immensely proud of my wonderful daughter. Finally, thank goodness they are all over! :D
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I didn’t hear about the lowest cut off for 2017. I know for 2016 it was a record low of 215.

There is no passmark given in your letter. It is impossible for the school to give this as it depends on who wants Newstead in comparison to other schools. They give you a guideline on what the score has been for the last few years to get in. When DD sat the test in 2015 I got a letter saying ‘based on historical experiences with previous cohorts of an intake of 160 the cut-off score would have been in the region of 218 to 220’. I therefore assume that those who get letters this year will be in the know of the range of scores including 2017.

When DD got her letter I had been following this excellent forum and seen in recent years the score on offer day was often in the region of 224 and it went down to the lower figures after that. The offer day lowest score can therefore be a helpful indication of final lowest score. The year DD started was a year it went down to 215 which was unexpected. I think it was 222 on offer day and then went down, probably based on a few uncertainties at the school at the time. It has never been wildly out, but a general rule of thumb is if your DD gets 220 they are likely to be in with a very good chance of a place if you/they want it, how close to the cut off it ends up being means it may not be immediate. I also don’t have a clue about how many sat the test this year, how popular the school may or may not be and so whilst there can be guidance it is just that, a guide. If you really want the school and have place on your CAF put it on, nothing lost.