Common catchment area problem

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nickib

Common catchment area problem

Post by Nickib »

I just wanted to ask for some advice. My daughter is currently in year 5 & is hoping to take the 11+ test next autumn. The issue we have is that we fall just outside the common catchment area for Woodford county. In fact, we unfortunately don't live in any grammar school catchment. What are the chances of her being offered a place if she scores very high? I think she's capable. I don't want want her to feel like it was all for nothing. Thanks.
Daogroupie

Re: Common catchment area problem

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to check their admissions criteria on the website.

If you are not in catchment it is likely you will not be able to take the exam. DG
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Thanks. I have looked but haven't seen anything about not being able to sit the exam. I will have to have a more thorough look.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:You need to check their admissions criteria on the website.

If you are not in catchment it is likely you will not be able to take the exam. DG
The school cannot legally stop you taking the exam (I think we've already been there with the OSA, haven't we?), although the London Borough of Redbridge helpfully points out that no-one can actually remember a year when an applicant from outside the Common Catchment Area actually succeeded in obtaining a place. However, the same exam is also used for Chelmsford County High School, so if you are anywhere near a station on the line into Chelmsford, registering with that school to share your DD's score with the CCHS cohort would give her a chance to get one of the 30 open places there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

I wasn't aware that Chelmsford awarded places outside of their 12.5 mile catchment. I think it's painfully obvious I'm new to all of this. Woodford is much more convenient as Chelmsford is a bit of a trek. Definitely worth looking into though. Thanks for your help.
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

The most frustrating part is that we are literally 2 mins by foot outside Woodford catchment.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Woodford County are very helpful with the info re the test, it is clear you can take the test but they will admit anyone who passes and lives in catchment first.

http://www.woodford.redbridge.sch.uk/page/?pid=115" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nickib

Post by Nickib »

Thanks
Bananas

Post by Bananas »

Daughter is at Woodford. Fairly certain no one ever gets in out of catchment.

The only way would be to sit it and if she scores well move in Woodford catchment. Alternatively, Essex grammars take out of catchment I believe if you are anywhere near there.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bananas wrote:Daughter is at Woodford. Fairly certain no one ever gets in out of catchment.

The only way would be to sit it and if she scores well move in Woodford catchment. Alternatively, Essex grammars take out of catchment I believe if you are anywhere near there.
Yes, all the Essex grammar schools do offer places to out of catchment applicants, viz

Colchester County High School for Girls: has no catchment area. And believe it or not, girls do in fact make the 90+-mile round trip every day from around Ilford etc. The school is one heck of a hike from the main railway station (and the hills in between are pretty stiff - I suspect that the car which broke down on Balkerne Hill during rush hour yesterday morning may have had a burned out clutch :shock: ), but a forum member has set up a private coach service from metropolitan Essex, I believe.
Chelmsford County High School for Girls: 80% of the places are reserved for IC, the remaining 20% are allocated on score regardless of place of residence. Easy walk from Chelmsford station. As far as I am aware, despite the dire prognostications of certain people when the catchment area was introduced (mainly parents of prospective applicants in the Redbridge area, IIRC :lol: ) that the school would go to Hades in a small wheeled object as soon as the intake consisted mainly of dim locals, this has not yet happened.
Southend High School for Girls: minimum of 45 places reserved for OOC (that is, not resident within postcodes SS0 - SS9 inc). Walking distance of Southend East station (C2C) or about a ten minute bus journey from Southend Victoria (Greater Anglia).
Westcliff High School for Girls: minimum of 46 places reserved for OOC (same rules as SHSG). 25 minute walk from Chalkwell station (C2C).

All the schools apart from Chelmsford admit via the exam set by the CSSE.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now