JHGS vs RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

JHGS vs RGS

Post by BlueBerry »

I'm trying to take my mind off the looming transfer test results. So, I've started thinking of our schooling options. I know which school to choose if he doesn't qualify. But if he does, how do I choose between our 2 favorite schools? We both liked RGS and JHGS.

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences of either school that they would like to share please?
scary mum

Re: JHGS vs RGS

Post by scary mum »

BlueBerry, if you look back there are a few threads comparing the two over the years. I was going to link to some of them, but when I searched I see that you are on a lot of them!
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

That's so true :lol:
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi Blueberry

I have got friends with boys at both schools-all are very happy with their choices.

I have looked around both and personally preferred John Hampden (as it was a bit less "formal") Also if I remember correctly(?) your son loves football and RGS is a big rugby school.

Hope that helps a bit-good luck!
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Which is easier to get to when you have the inevitable after-school pickup?
I know someone whose son has just started at John Hampden, he is loving it but there's Sat morning sports and quite a bit of afterschool sports practice....

Just looked at the JH website and their "prospectus" seems a bit pretentious, being a black-and-white-montage of boys posing with famous alumni (Heston Blimenthal, Terry Prachett) in a series of "brooding" shots. Tells you nothing about the school other than they have money to burn on swanky photography (!!!)
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

2littleboys wrote:Hi Blueberry

I have got friends with boys at both schools-all are very happy with their choices.

I have looked around both and personally preferred John Hampden (as it was a bit less "formal") Also if I remember correctly(?) your son loves football and RGS is a big rugby school.

Hope that helps a bit-good luck!
Thanks 2littleboys, I've been thinking about you.

You are right, I remember thinking that JH was less formal than RGS. But is that such a bad thing? And yes, he is a keen footballer and plays for a local team every weekend. I know that he was very impressed with JH and their 3G AstroTurf pitches last year but I really don't want to base our choice on that :lol:
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Aethel wrote:Which is easier to get to when you have the inevitable after-school pickup?
I know someone whose son has just started at John Hampden, he is loving it but there's Sat morning sports and quite a bit of afterschool sports practice....

Just looked at the JH website and their "prospectus" seems a bit pretentious, being a black-and-white-montage of boys posing with famous alumni (Heston Blimenthal, Terry Prachett) in a series of "brooding" shots. Tells you nothing about the school other than they have money to burn on swanky photography (!!!)
Oh they had these photos in their prospectus last year!

I think regardless of which school DS goes to, he will be participating in the after school clubs. He's a very active boy and thrives in all of the extra curricular activities.

I know I asked these questions last year, and I'm still asking them now :roll: I just genuinely can't decide which one to choose. I know if DS was asked he will say JH - because of their AstroTurf pitches!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Aethel wrote:Just looked at the JH website and their "prospectus" seems a bit pretentious, being a black-and-white-montage of boys posing with famous alumni (Heston Blimenthal, Terry Prachett) in a series of "brooding" shots. Tells you nothing about the school other than they have money to burn on swanky photography (!!!)
Was that a deliberate typo, as in "always on the Blimen' telly?"

I'm afraid pretentious websites seem to be gaining ground. Last year I highlighted the website of the Simon Langton grammar school in Canterbury (and was shot down by someone for doing so :lol: ) for its pretentiousness. It includes gems such as: "It’s like the Langton are playing at being NASA or the European Space Agency; only they’re not playing, they’re doing the real thing." I'm sure the school is excellent, but its website is over the top.
Amber

Post by Amber »

anotherdad wrote:Last year I highlighted the website of the Simon Langton grammar school in Canterbury (and was shot down by someone for doing so ) for its pretentiousness. It includes gems such as: "It’s like the Langton are playing at being NASA or the European Space Agency; only they’re not playing, they’re doing the real thing." I'm sure the school is excellent, but its website is over the top.
How bizarre. One could understand it maybe for undersubscribed schools but if you're already doing well...? I could direct you to a local indie school website where I live, which if anyone saw W1A last night with the 'me' sketch, would resonate.

We had a bit of fun devising school mottos once. Our sons' grammar school has an old Breton motto for some reason; it always looks to me as if it should mean 'watch your back'. We felt another local school would be well suited to 'what you looking at?'; and another 'sink or swim'.

Sorry, OT.
Amber

Post by Amber »

anotherdad wrote:Last year I highlighted the website of the Simon Langton grammar school in Canterbury (and was shot down by someone for doing so ) for its pretentiousness. It includes gems such as: "It’s like the Langton are playing at being NASA or the European Space Agency; only they’re not playing, they’re doing the real thing." I'm sure the school is excellent, but its website is over the top.
How bizarre. One could understand it maybe for undersubscribed schools but if you're already doing well...? I could direct you to a local indie school website where I live, which if anyone saw W1A last night with the 'me' sketch, would resonate.

We had a bit of fun devising school mottos once. Our sons' grammar school has an old Breton motto for some reason; it always looks to me as if it should mean 'watch your back'. We felt another local school would be well suited to 'what you looking at?'; and another 'sink or swim'.

Sorry, OT.