10 more days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Candel

10 more days

Post by Candel »

Is it just me who is going insane waiting for the Birmingham results?

I've tried so hard to forget about it, we've all been extremely busy & have focussed hard on plan B - but still the days are dragging. Part of the problem is that plan B is so inadequate it's hard to summon up enthusiasm for it. It's not that I object to comprehensives, dp and I both went to mediocre comps and have coped fine, but the boys' comprehensive options closest to us aren't even mediocre. DS has been great, getting enthusiastic about any school we drag him to but he knows the deal and said to me this morning that there isn't an hour in the day when he's not thinking about results day. I feel like number one bad parent. I can tell him it doesn't matter til I'm blue in the face but he knows it does and that whatever turns up in the envelope on Friday week will determine the next step, whether that's inadequate plan B, a grammar school - or moving house. I just want to hurry up and get planning!

Roll on Friday the 13th...
Goodbyekitty

Re: 10 more days

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Hi Candel, the same here. No matter how much I try to not think about the results it's always there like a thorn.
DS has been saying he feels worried about the results and I've tried to reassure him everything will be fine even if he doesn't pass the grammar schools.
In so glad they are kept busy at school during these last few weeks.
Fingers crossed for your DS.
kellyann

Post by kellyann »

We moved house last year in case my daughter doesn't get to the grammar school... We are lucky the comp school is an excellent school... Where we used to live our catchment school was extremely poor. Next Friday seems likes years away... I am also the most impatient person ever which doesn't help... My nephew took the test also and my sister is so laid back and didn't even know when the results were being posted until I told her! Good luck
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Kellyann I wish I was more laid back like your sister. :lol:
It's great you have a good fall back option too.
We are no longer in the catchment for Streetly and Plantsbrook and our choice of comprehensives we will get do not look that great.
kellyann

Post by kellyann »

I wish I was like her too.... Sometimes lol she is also the most unorganised and dipsy girl in the world! I have Arthur Terry as the catchment school and all I have heard about it are good things. I do believe though that a child can do well at any school if they keep focused and work at it.... But I didn't believe that enough to stay in my old area lol
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

I don't blame you for moving to a better school catchment area. I would do the same if I could.
I too agree if you child is going to to well they will do well wherever they go.
But myself having gone to a not a good school and doing ok at GCSE's I know an able child may not be fully pushed to their potential.
kellyann

Post by kellyann »

I went to a rubbish school and didn't do great... My sister went to the same school and her lowest GCSE result was an A! She worked hard and I didn't! Plus she is naturally clever so that helped!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

DS2 was sleeping better after the exams, but the last few nights he has been very restless and started sleep walking again; he said he's worried about the result :( . Like you, we have reassured him that he will achieve wherever he goes, as long as he applies himself, and a GCSE qualification is the same regardless of which school it comes from.

Our Plan B has now turned into Plan C - the local Catholic School - even though we are not religious! We went to look round it and were more impressed than the local comps and DS2 rather liked it which was good. He also saw a few of his friends looking round which helped. Plan B is a choice of John Willmott, Greenwood or Erdington Academy :shock: but hopefully it won't come to that.

Good luck to all waiting, and hopefully it will be in Friday's post and not Saturday's!! :roll:
Candel

Post by Candel »

Thanks GoodbyeKitty, KellyAnn and Helen, I'm so glad it's not just us!
& you're right GK it's good that they're busy at school at least.

I hadn't thought of faith schools Helen.. I might look into that if they're willing to take non-faith pupils, otherwise, like you, our options are pretty bleak. I do agree that family input and support does play a vital part wherever they go and I would be happy for both dc to go to a local comp if there was one that was ok-ish. I'm just concerned that our local ones are not even ok-ish. It's not just about the gcses, I'm more concerned with ds finding friends he can relate to - the academic side will take care of itself. I just want him to be happy :(

I'm impressed with your organisation KA, moving before the event! None of us want to move but if it comes to it I suppose we could.

Fingers crossed for everybody here. Let's hope our planBs, Cs and Ds won't have to be put into action!
Candel

Post by Candel »

..and do you really think it might be Saturday Helen? I was banking on Friday!