Pass mark 214

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
neverdie

Pass mark 214

Post by neverdie »

If last year park was 216 i.e. 65% then maybe passmark of 214 is roughly 60-62%.
Bearing in mind it was hard exam compared to last year....(according to our mock test centre)
scary mum

Re: Pass mark 214

Post by scary mum »

Did you tutor tell you it was 65%? Not from your area but if the mark is standardised you won't know the percentage unless someone has the raw scores by month (the percentage may differ by month anyway).
scary mum
Mintan

Post by Mintan »

Info on the Bexley website this morning.
Juneboy

Post by Juneboy »

Any guesses on the pass % needed for a child born in June?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The 'pass mark' of 214 is a standardised score, not a raw score.

It does not equate to a raw score of approximately 60-62%. It is impossible to derive raw scores from standardised scores.

The standardised passing score shows you where in the cohort the cut-off point will be. To reach the standardised score of 214 (or 107 as an average for one paper) you need to be in approximately the top 32% of children who sat the exam. To reach last year's score of 216 (average of 108 for one paper) you would need to be in approximately the top 30% of children who sat the exam.

The exam could be easier than last year's or more difficult. It doesn't matter. The cut-off will be chosen to ensure that there are enough passing children to fill all the places. So it will be determined with reference to the number of children sitting the test (more children=higher mark), the number of places available (lower number of places=higher mark) and possibly the postcodes of children (they will want to ensure that enough children with a realistic journey to school are given a passing mark).

Bexley says that in recent years around 30% of children have received a pass. It's a bit lower than that this year; I'm speculating but that might be caused by concerns about exam tourists and not passing enough genuine children.
chocraisin

Post by chocraisin »

This is interesting as my DC tutor has said over and over that she expects selective children to be achieving the high 80%/early 90% in mock tests
Bexley11plus

Post by Bexley11plus »

chocraisin wrote:This is interesting as my DC tutor has said over and over that she expects selective children to be achieving the high 80%/early 90% in mock tests
That could be to compensate for any drop in actual score due to on the day nerves or perhaps those aiming for super selective Schools or Top 180 scores also?
chocraisin

Post by chocraisin »

Hope so :lol:
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I'm not sure you've read my post on standardisation.

There's no way of knowing what raw score you need in the exams in order to achieve a standardised score of 214.

All you know is that to get 214 you need to be in the top 32% of the cohort; to get 216 you need to be in the top 30% of the cohort.

If the test is relatively easy, you may need raw scores in excess of 90% to get in those top brackets. If the test is relatively hard, you may only need to get raw scores in excess of, say, 65% to get a passing mark.

The tutor's experience may be that a child who gets 90% in mocks is likely to get a result in the top 30% in the real exam. It doesn't necessarily mean that a child will need to get 90% in the real exam to get in the top 30%.
neverdie

Post by neverdie »

Our tuition centre got last year pass mark from FOI request from bexley it was 65% last year