Are 11+ results shared with current primary school?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Octsmum

Are 11+ results shared with current primary school?

Post by Octsmum »

Hi all

Just wondering if 11+ results are shared with the current primary school? Also do any of the grammar schools use the results for anything else other than just qualification? Anyone with any knowledge?

Octsmum
cazien

Re: Are 11+ results shared with current primary school?

Post by cazien »

No knowledge I'm afraid but...

Our primary school Headmaster always denied any knowledge of knowing anything about 11+ (including who even sat the test). He always said they found out after allocations day as to who was going to what school in order for them to forward on pupils files. They will get involved at the appeals stage, as they normally have to submit evidence (school reports, predicted scores, letter of support etc).

Can't think of anything grammar schools could use results for....
ash14

Post by ash14 »

In Swindon they are not shared with the primary schools- again its not even something that is actively encouraged or discussed.
Parismum

Post by Parismum »

No, the primaries get no information about it at all - they won't know who sat the test or what their results are unless parents (or someone else's parent!) tell them directly.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Think they have no knowledge at all. Drives me mad that the primary/junior schools seem to show no interest at all. I know not everyone takes it & that's fine but for the children who do, a little recognition would be nice. At our junior sch, the children are told not to even discuss the test or results! How ridiculous & how to make an emotive issue even bigger & worse :shock:
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

I agree some recognition of those that have would be nice. In our school there seems to be little recognition for the conscientious who do homework week in week out & more recognition for those who turn in one piece of dog eared homework once a term! Just a current bugbear!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm not in your region and I don't know whether more people sit the exams in your area - but I was very glad that there wasn't any recognition of those that passed when my children were sitting the exams. We were in a very small school (20-23 in a year group, state school) and approximately 9 or 10 of the children sat the exams with an expectation of between 0 and 2 passing each year (my dd was in an unusual year when 3 passed). It would have felt awful if those who had been successful had been singled out for some sort of praise - all of the parents of children who had passed (and the children themselves) felt very conscious of those who had tried and not succeeded - and indeed those who knew that the exams were not for them. We all kept a very low profile indeed.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Our school has shown very little interest in any of the children sitting the 11+ (despite the fact that it will help their SATs result in May next year) so highly unlikely to be any recognition coming the children's way. Those of us that have sat the 11+ have recognised our children's efforts in different ways. We went out for pizza & to the circus.

My comment about recognition was wider, more in school in general, where I don't feel there is enough recognition. Children that complete reading records, challenge spellings, homework each week to a high standard get nothing in comparison to those who occasionally turn something in who get a house point! It doesn't have to be much...
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

loobylou wrote:I'm not in your region and I don't know whether more people sit the exams in your area - but I was very glad that there wasn't any recognition of those that passed when my children were sitting the exams. We were in a very small school (20-23 in a year group, state school) and approximately 9 or 10 of the children sat the exams with an expectation of between 0 and 2 passing each year (my dd was in an unusual year when 3 passed). It would have felt awful if those who had been successful had been singled out for some sort of praise - all of the parents of children who had passed (and the children themselves) felt very conscious of those who had tried and not succeeded - and indeed those who knew that the exams were not for them. We all kept a very low profile indeed.
I wasn't suggesting there should be public praise for those who passed, that would be awful for those who don't or didn't take the test. But I think telling children you must not even discuss it almost as tho it's a dirty subject is wrong. Let's face it, tell somebody not to do something & that's exactly what they want to do! Surely for mental health/wellbeing of the children it would be better to encourage understanding that some will be happy others upset & to be considerate of people's feelings plus to be humble if you did pass & your best friend didn't!
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

[quote="Watermelon8"][quote="loobylou"]I'm not in your region and I don't know whether more people sit the exams in your area - but I was very glad that there wasn't any recognition of those that passed when my children were sitting the exams. We were in a very small school (20-23 in a year group, state school) and approximately 9 or 10 of the children sat the exams with an expectation of between 0 and 2 passing each year (my dd was in an unusual year when 3 passed). It would have felt awful if those who had been successful had been singled out for some sort of praise - all of the parents of children who had passed (and the children themselves) felt very conscious of those who had tried and not succeeded - and indeed those who knew that the exams were not for them. We all kept a very low profile indeed.[/quote]
I wasn't suggesting there should be public praise for those who passed, that would be awful for those who don't or didn't take the test. But I think telling children you must not even discuss it almost as tho it's a dirty subject is wrong. Let's face it, tell somebody not to do something & that's exactly what they want to do! Surely for mental health/wellbeing of the children it would be better to encourage understanding that some will be happy others upset & to be considerate of people's feelings plus to be humble if you did pass & your best friend didn't![/quote]
Ah Ok I understand. I thought you were suggesting some sort of public announcement in assembly or something!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now