Stage 2 Music test

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Middlesexmum

Stage 2 Music test

Post by Middlesexmum »

Dd is doing this tomorrow and is very nervous. She is doing a Grade 1 piano piece and would like to know if she will get a chance to practice on the piano she will be playing?

Also, if she makes a mistake is she allowed to start again or should she just carry on?

I have heard there is an interview as well as the audition, is this correct?

Good luck to all the children sitting tomorrow.
Daogroupie

Re: Stage 2 Music test

Post by Daogroupie »

Both my dds did this audition.

Arrive early. As soon as you register she will be placed on the waiting list for a room to rehearse in.

She will be asked some questions about how long she has been playing and possibly why she chose the piece and what she likes about it.

I suggest you do some dry runs with some family members today so she is prepared for some questions.

I also suggest you wait until after the audition to tell her about HBS so her confidence is not knocked.

Both my dds really enjoyed their auditions and found everyone involved very friendly.

Hope it goes well. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Thank you DG, that's very helpful.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Also if she makes a mistake it is totally her choice if she starts again or carries on.

I will do a dummy run at home with both scenarios and decide which one she feels happiest with. DG
sriji

Post by sriji »

Are DDs allowed to see music sheet (notes) while playing or they have to play the whole music by heart?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They can take their music in with them.

They will be provided with a music stand. DG
bluesymum

Post by bluesymum »

Dd finished her round 2 music test today. She chose to sing. I was under the impression that the examiners are really lovely and friendly but she said one of them didn't smile at all and looked terribly stern.,she felt a bit unnerved. Is that unusual. Do you think they disapproved of her choice of song.,it was a contemporary one rather than classical.,
Sunshine08

Post by Sunshine08 »

My DC had his test last week too ( he played an instrument) and said the same about the examiners. I suspect it's a bit luck of the draw who they get as an examiner and our ones were the grumpy or tired ones!
Hera

Post by Hera »

DD said the examiners were friendly and smiley, but I think it is most likely just the difference in a child's perception. Yesterday seems to have been the final day for auditions as the SWHC site has been taken down again and it says it will re-open on the 16th when the results are due. Good luck to everyone.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

From previous experience of exams etc, I've found that grumpy examiners tend to give higher scores than friendly ones :lol:

I'm sure they've all done their best, good luck for the results.