KES Birmingham switches to IB

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KenR

KES Birmingham switches to IB

Post by KenR »

Following on from the IGCSE discussions, King Edwards School Birmingham has announced that it intended to switch from A Levels to IB from Sep't 2010. See link below:-

http://www.kes.bham.sch.uk/newsviews.pdf
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Im gutted as that school is a strong contender for my youngest at 11+ and we're still considering it for my eldest at 13+ if we decide E and W aren't for us. I thought they were doing so well, and their inspection report was great, but I am anti-IB - what a shame. :(
KenR

Post by KenR »

Tipsy,

I agree, I'm not in favour of IB. I don't think it offers the subject depth for those that want to study say science or medicine.

I wonder if they have actually done some market research amongst the current parents.

Interestingly the girls school (KEHS), where my daughter is offering IB, but only as a supplement to A Levels. The view is that this probably isn't too difficult to achieve given the level of extra curricula activities that most girls undertake.

Regards

Ken
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Ken,

I totally agree with you as the IB tends to be broad but each subject taken in isolation is still not as good as an A at A'level. There are smart kids out there who woud excel at engineering but are useles at foreign languages and humanities, and I think the IB could penalise these children. No one should be expected to be good at all things. I'd rather have individuals who were great at a few things than average at everything.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

KenR wrote:Tipsy,

I agree, I'm not in favour of IB. I don't think it offers the subject depth for those that want to study say science or medicine.

I wonder if they have actually done some market research amongst the current parents.

Interestingly the girls school (KEHS), where my daughter is offering IB, but only as a supplement to A Levels. The view is that this probably isn't too difficult to achieve given the level of extra curricula activities that most girls undertake.

Regards

Ken
I am sick as a parrot because I asked the last Chief Master if he would consider introducing it as AS levels and A levels are now so tedious and uninspiring, and he said no. And now my son is embarked on AS levels and it is too late. IB is far superior in my view.
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

tipsy wrote:Im gutted as that school is a strong contender for my youngest at 11+ and we're still considering it for my eldest at 13+ if we decide E and W aren't for us. I thought they were doing so well, and their inspection report was great, but I am anti-IB - what a shame. :(
Do you live in Birmingham then Tipsy? I tried to get my youngest into Eton many years ago but we needed a junior scholarship and he didn't get one. :oops: Sadly the fees were way out of our league.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

Not in birmingham but close enough to travel. My cousins child sat the junior scholarship and didn't get it eventhough I was sure he would. We were going to try out but we couldn't wait that long as my sons education was suffering and he needed to be in a good school. We opted not to send him to KES in case we didn't want it for the senior school. I loved the school but am glad of my decision now if they opt for IB.
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

I do think IB is probably better than current A'levels but I think this new Pre-U would have been the best way for them to go, as I think they are almost equal to Winchester, Westminster etc.. and this would have furthered their status and appeal - not that they're undersubscribed!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Is IB International Baccalaureate?( Don't know if I have spelt that correctly!)
tipsy

Post by tipsy »

yes, and I can never spell it :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now