Prize Giving Ceremony - What to Wear?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helen0209

Prize Giving Ceremony - What to Wear?

Post by helen0209 »

DS1 has an award at a Prize Giving Ceremony tomorrow night, for which we are extremely proud. However, my question is what are we supposed to wear as parents? I am assuming smart, but how smart? Do men wear suits, or just smart trousers and shirts; tie or no tie? Sorry if this sounds like a daft question, but really don’t want to look out of place (either too smart or not smart enough)! Anyone with experience of these evenings please let me know. Thanks in advance.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Prize Giving Ceremony - What to Wear?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In my experience you will get the full range. My staple is usually a nice shirt and black trousers - something that doesn't make me stand out!
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Well done to your DS Helen.
How exciting :)
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Ooh, well done to your ds! What is his prize for?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Thank you Goodbyekitty and Crazycrofter. It is a Progress Award (although being a typical boy he hasn’t expanded on it) - hopefully we’ll learn more tonight :lol:

I think clothes wise it is easier for a female, and pretty sure DH has now decided on smart trousers and shirt but with no tie. If everyone else is in suits I’ll post when we get back as we’ve made a serious faux pas! :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've attended many over the years - people dress in a range of styles. Please just wear something you are comfortable in as your child will be on stage for a tiny amount of time and the ceremony will go on for a while.
[With one HT we used to run a sweepstake on how long the address would be]
Amber

Post by Amber »

Went to one only last week - I can't remember what I wore but it was nothing ultra smart for sure. OH wore jacket but no tie. Biggest problem we have at these things is him trying to stay awake, though last week someone brought a toddler who shouted throughout the thing (that did the trick); and some poor child also vomited on even poorer children surrounding it.

Don't be that parent standing up to video it on your 'phone though, please. :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:Went to one only last week - I can't remember what I wore but it was nothing ultra smart for sure. OH wore jacket but no tie. Biggest problem we have at these things is him trying to stay awake, though last week someone brought a toddler who shouted throughout the thing (that did the trick); and some poor child also vomited on even poorer children surrounding it.

Don't be that parent standing up to video it on your 'phone though, please. :)
I have now been to four prize-giving afternoons at DS2's school (DS1 was also there up to GCSEs), three on my own and one with DH. He wore smartish jacket and trousers (and a waistcoat) but no tie. This year, I wore a linen dress - longish and casual, rather than 'workwear' - with a blouse worn as a light jacket, but I'm pretty sure that's the smartest I've ever been for the event :lol: . Others were dressed in a variety of outfits, from 'dashed home from the office' to T shirt and jeans.

As I was already at the school doing my PA helper selling tickets for disco thing, we got seats in pole position when a few of us were let in early; a little close to the musical entertainment's drum kit for comfort, perhaps, but right under the beady eye of the SLT and the Chair of Governors, so no risk of the person in front standing up and blocking the view :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Thank you all for you advice; indeed there was a variety of dress, from suits to jeans! Generally speaking smart casual covered it, and felt quite comfortable in wearing ‘normal work attire’.

Amber, I didn’t even take a picture, let alone video it, although the family next to us (all 4 of them) stood up and recorded their son!! Fortunately no screaming toddlers or vomiting :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now