Vocabulary - is this enough?

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Exams2018

Vocabulary - is this enough?

Post by Exams2018 »

Hi all,
Does anyone have a full 11plus word list? If we thoroughly comb through all the words in the below books, is that good enough? Our target schools are Kent, Newstead wood and Walligton girls.

1. Bond asst tests VR (9-10 and 10-11)
2. Cgp VR ten minute tests (9-10 ad 10-11)
3. Bond VR ten min tests (9-10 and 10-11)
4. FPTP Vocabulary in context books (which levels?)
5. AE tuition vocabulary books (which levels?)

We are also trying to improve reading habits.
scary mum

Re: Vocabulary - is this enough?

Post by scary mum »

Have you looked at this post? https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 70&t=38525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

It's impossible to say because the English language is so vast!
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Thanks Scarymum

@octsmum - but preparation can only be so much !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally, I think learning words for words sake is not a good way to improve vocabulary. Far better to work on improving the depth and breadth of reading making sure that any unfamiliar words are identified. Remind your child to use contextual clues to work out unfamiliar words, and/or roots of words that may give clues as to what the word is about.
piggys

Post by piggys »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Personally, I think learning words for words sake is not a good way to improve vocabulary. Far better to work on improving the depth and breadth of reading making sure that any unfamiliar words are identified. Remind your child to use contextual clues to work out unfamiliar words, and/or roots of words that may give clues as to what the word is about.
I agree with this completely. There is barely any point learning words 'dry' unless you are able to incorporate them into your writing and conversation. The only complete list of words would be an unabridged and up to date edition of the Collins or Oxford Dictionary. :lol:
AdamV

Post by AdamV »

Not 11+ specifically, but the National Curriculum word lists for key stage 2 (broken down by years 3/4 and 5/6) should be seen as a minimum, I would assume.

Depending on question types for your area, being able to recognise words with missing letters, or compound words made up of smaller ones (eg fore+cast) can be useful. For sysnonyms and antonyms I would suggest making sure to highlight types of words too, for example a noun, adjective or adverb needs to match with a word of the same type (so hurried and fast belong together, but not with run, rate, speed or quickly)
snow white

Post by snow white »

A good friend of ours is spending some time with my DS on English/ Vocabulary. He's a Cambridge English graduate and helped his own 5 children all get into a grammar school - although to be fair, if they are anything like their dad then they would have probably passed anyway!

His advice is to read, read and read and to read books with a wide vocabulary. Sharing books so you can discuss unfamiliar words.

He has also provided a list of words with more than one meaning, so we play a game with DS where we pick a word and have to come up with as meany meanings as possible.

We also get our DS to listen to audio books where more unfamiliar words might be used.... reading is probably his least favourite thing to do in the whole world!